New doc--Command-N

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jb
Read the guide, knows everything

New doc--Command-N

Post by jb »

Command-N opens, I think, Standard.mtem in Template folder (Library/Application Support/Mellel).

I'd like to change this template so that Command-N opens a document with somewhat different attributes.
Is this possible?

(I know I can make another template and open it with menu--or with a different keystroke shortcut using iKey--but Command-N is then lost to me. Anyway, how about if we want to alter templates?)

When I try to save as template with this name, I don't succeed. (Must add .mell). When I then change name manually, the 'document' turns into a folder.

I think there was some discussion of a related phenomenon recently, but of course I don't recall.

This must be an elementary matter.

Thanks,
James
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by donb »

>Command-N opens, I think, Standard.mtem in Template folder (Library/Application Support/Mellel).
>I'd like to change this template so that Command-N opens a document with somewhat different attributes.
Is this possible?<

There is some confusion here.
Command-N opens a new document in Mellel, just as it does in most or all other Mac programs.

1. If you prefer your new documents to have a different setup, then open a new document (Command-N), and change whatever details you want changed.

3. Save it as a template. Name the template but do NOT add any .mtem or whatever to it. Mellel does this itself when saving a template.
When you save it, make sure you use "Save as Template" from the File Menu.

3. Now in the Mellel Preferences, "Open & Save" section, be sure "Open a New Document" is selected. Then tick "Default template" and click on the Browse button and select the new template you just saved.
Thereafter Mellel will always open the template you selected, whenever you press Command-N.

Don Broadribb
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by jb »

Thanks much.

Since I didn't want a new document to open on start-up, I never got that far. I see that once I set the default template I can then reset preferences to do nothing on startup, and yet Command-N does open the template I've chosen.

Thanks!

James