Problems Reinstalling Spotlight Installer

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

laup
Knows everything, can prove it

Problems Reinstalling Spotlight Installer

Post by laup »

This is an FYI for others who may be trying to reinstall Mellel's Spotlight plug-in because of the earlier problems You may get a message from the installer "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install." After a web search I found that the problem causing this is often a receipt from a previous installation. After deleting the relevant item from my ~/Library/Receipts folder, deleting the current installer, and double-clicking on the dmg file to create a new installer, all was well.
Paul
verma

Post by verma »

couldn't it also be that the version you have installed already, is current?
laup

Post by laup »

verma wrote:couldn't it also be that the version you have installed already, is current?
Yes, it probably was, but since Spotlight wasn't finding some of what I was looking for, I was hoping that the plug-in would be newer. Thus, I deleted the plug-in that was there and tried to reinstall, but was unable to do so until I also removed the receipt. Unfortunately, Spotlight still cannot not find things in a new Mellel document. I will experiment further.
Paul
verma

Post by verma »

pkensildavis wrote:
verma wrote:couldn't it also be that the version you have installed already, is current?
Yes, it probably was, but since Spotlight wasn't finding some of what I was looking for, I was hoping that the plug-in would be newer. Thus, I deleted the plug-in that was there and tried to reinstall, but was unable to do so until I also removed the receipt. Unfortunately, Spotlight still cannot not find things in a new Mellel document. I will experiment further.
Do you by any chance have a folder "Contents" in your /Library/spotlight folder? I had one, got rid of it, and now have no Spotlight problems anymore.

Could you detail what you have in /library/spotlight (root level)?
laup

Spotlight is working

Post by laup »

verma wrote:
pkensildavis wrote:
Do you by any chance have a folder "Contents" in your /Library/spotlight folder? I had one, got rid of it, and now have no Spotlight problems anymore.

Could you detail what you have in /library/spotlight (root level)?
This morning, almost a day later, Spotlight finds the file in question. Something similar happened on my other computer a week or so ago. It appears that Spotlight "takes its time" to update some of its indexing. I have no idea what priority it uses, whether it does a shallow indexing of files followed by deeper indexing, or what. However, it does seem possible that SOME problems people are having may be like mine, and are due to Spotlight's idiosyncracies. Others have had to replace the old plug-in and, as you describe, there appear to have been problems with a Contents folder, which I did not have.
Paul
verma

Re: Spotlight is working

Post by verma »

pkensildavis wrote:
This morning, almost a day later, Spotlight finds the file in question. Something similar happened on my other computer a week or so ago. It appears that Spotlight "takes its time" to update some of its indexing. I have no idea what priority it uses, whether it does a shallow indexing of files followed by deeper indexing, or what. However, it does seem possible that SOME problems people are having may be like mine, and are due to Spotlight's idiosyncracies. Others have had to replace the old plug-in and, as you describe, there appear to have been problems with a Contents folder, which I did not have.

Another happy Finder then !

You can force Spotlight to index a bit quicker with a terminal command, if you like that:

mdimport -r /System/Library/Spotlight/Mellel.mdimporter

Or force reindexing of specific folders first, using only the Mellel.mdimporter. That speeds up the process and allows you for a quasi-instant check.

Anyway, you can always check via terminal if your Mellel spotlight plugin is recognized - if it is, be patient and indexing will surely happen...