Nitpicks about this forum

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Nitpicks about this forum

Post by jannuss »

I hesitate to raise this issue -- there are so many more important (and more interesting) topics -- but I think it's time to clean up the forum itself.

1. The "Mark All Topics Read" command never seems to work.

2. The highlighting of new/unread topics appears to be inconsistent
[I haven't spent much time looking at this, but sometimes topics I haven't read aren't highlighted and those I have are]

3. Again, I haven't checked this out thoroughly, but I believe the only way to "unhighlight" a multi-page topic is to step through all the pages even if I've read the first page(s) in a previous session.

4. And the tag-lines added under each person's name . . . they may have been cute when we were a small group of 200-300 people, but now (at 700 and raising) they only spread confusion.

Janet
zoul

Re: Nitpicks about this forum

Post by zoul »

jannuss wrote:1. The "Mark All Topics Read" command never seems to work.
Works flawlessly for me…
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Janet,

I must say that I've never experienced your problems. As far as session tracking, or the bulletin board remembering which topics you have visited or marked read, this may be a problem with your browser. I recommend clearing out your cache and cookies, and logging back in to the forum. I've never had issues with this bulletin board mis-marking topics as read. (To clear a topic and mark it as read, even if it spans more than one page, you only need to visit one of its pages, not all of them.)

As far as the "taglines" under the user names, they are not something added in after the fact by the Redlers, but rather a part of phpBB (the software the drives the forums). Perhaps the wording of some of them may get a little tiresome or repetitive, but it's merely something that can only be changed in text, not eliminated.

I do, however, see there may be justification in asking for some reorganization of the boards. One section for bugs, one for feature requests, one for general support, one for announcements of updates and releases and one for each version (so problems that only affected 1.x or 2.0 can be dealt with, and not clutter up the forum for the new 2.1 release).
— Robert Cameron
digimarkus
Already downloaded the guide

Post by digimarkus »

rpcameron wrote:I do, however, see there may be justification in asking for some reorganization of the boards. One section for bugs, one for feature requests, one for general support, one for announcements of updates and releases and one for each version (so problems that only affected 1.x or 2.0 can be dealt with, and not clutter up the forum for the new 2.1 release).
I agree that some reorganization of the boards would be helpful. I wouldn't want to add too many categories, but at least announcements, bugs, features and support would be helpful. I think that it would also help keep important discussions within these areas from getting lost.

- Mark
Danoz
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by Danoz »

Agree with the call for the addition of some more topics and general re-organisation of the boards.

Nick