Saving Microsoft Word usable documents

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

twest
New to all this

Saving Microsoft Word usable documents

Post by twest »

Greetings - I'm brand spankin' new to the Mellel community. I purchased it because of it's easability with the Hebrew language, I'm teaching Hebrew and needed to be able to type in it! However, the other teachers all have PCs and use Microsoft Word - is it possible to save a Mellel document in a format that is recognizable to Word? I tried saving a file in Mellel and then opening it in Word - but I was unsuccessful. Any bright ideas?

Travis
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

You could save your files directly as Word files (with the .doc extension) by chosing File › Export › Word Format…. But unfortunately, the .doc exporter isn‘t all that good (if you use Footnotes, Endnotes, Tables and all the other stuff).
A better solution is to use the RTF (Rich Text Format) export which also could be opened by Microsoft Word File › Export › RTF…. By doing this (and by requesting RTF documents from your colleagues) data transition should work farely well.

You could find more information about RTF export by searching the forum about “Word AND RTF”.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Mart°n wrote:A better solution is to use the RTF (Rich Text Format) export which also could be opened by Microsoft Word File › Export › RTF…. By doing this (and by requesting RTF documents from your colleagues) data transition should work farely well.
Some PC users get confused when they see the rtf extension, and, on a rare occasion, mail servers mess up rtf files.

If you have these problems, simply change the rtf extension to doc [on the rtf file when you create it]. Word knows what to do with faux-doc files and your PC friends won't panic.

Janet
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

jannuss wrote: Some PC users get confused when they see the rtf extension
[…]
If you have these problems, simply change the rtf extension to doc [on the rtf file when you create it]. Word knows what to do with faux-doc files and your PC friends won't panic.
If you regularly exchange files with PC users, I suggest not to change the extention from RTF to DOC because it simply reminds them to send a RTF document back to you.
If they are confused, it’s up to you to explain the situation. If you always send DOC files, they may think that it’s just fine to send DOC files back to you but as the DOC importer isn’t as good as the RTF importer, you should request RTF files.

If RTF files would be corrupted by sending them via email, you could zip them via the OS X built in Archiver. XP users could then easily open those zip files, as zip support is built in to their Explorer.