putting title in header

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

stoic

putting title in header

Post by stoic »

I'm trying to figure out how to do something that was very easy in Framemaker.

Briefly, I want the title of each chapter in my book to appear in the header (in addition to the page number). But it's not obvious to me how this is to be done, or even if it can be done, in Mellel. I've tried using the Mellel Guide, but short of printing the whole thing out -- and killing lots of trees -- it's hard to find the relevant explanation (if there is one).

Can anyone just point me in the right direction?
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

Yep. Simply display the header frame by checking the “Header/Footer frames” in the Show menu (bottom left), click in the header frame and insert desired text. You can also set the title of the chapter to a variable and insert that variable into the header (Insert > Document variables).

A better way is to make the changes in the style: Select the inserted document variable with the chapter title, copy it into the clipboard, open the style settings (Cmd-Shift-A), open the page style and paste the variable into the header frame.

(I’m a bit terse here, let me know if you need more detail.)
donb
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by donb »

Another way is to use Auto-titles. When you open the edit autotitles pane, click on the "Mention format" button. Then, assuming you have a title flow called Chapter, click on Chapter and move the title icon/oval to the main part of the Mention format. For paragraph style choose Header/footer.

Now, assuming you use a Chapter autotitle to insert your chapter title at the start of each chapter, you need only to close the edit autotitles window. Place your cursor in the first header of the first chapter, and double click on Chapter in the Auto-titles palette. This will place the chapter name in each header.

If you use a page-style break at the end of each chapter, Mellel will thereafter place the correct chapter title in each header of the chapter concerned, without you having to worry about it further.

Don Broadribb
stoic

Post by stoic »

Thanks to both of you, for the several alternative solutions. I'll try the last, and see how it goes.