Typographer's Quotes and 'Find'

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

mkenney
Read the guide!

Typographer's Quotes and 'Find'

Post by mkenney »

I was attempting to use the 'Find and Replace' function to replace the word "comedian's" with "playwright's" and ran into this problem. I am using typographer's quotes (or, more accurately, apostrophe) in my document. However, the 'Find and Replace' function seems to default with straight quotes and apostrophes. So, 'Find' won't find "comedian's" when spelt with a typographer's apostrophe. Is the cause that a straight quote/apostrophe has a different unicode than a typographer's quote/apostrophe? Is there a way that typographer's quotes/apostrophes can be entered in the 'Find and Replace' function.

By the way, I did realize that I needed only to replace "comedian" with "playwright" and I would achieve my desired change. However, such a work around may not always be viable.

edit: corrected spelling
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

The correct quotes are directly on the keyboard: double curly quotes are Opt+[ and Opt+Shift+[, single curly quotes Opt+] and Opt+Shift+].
mkenney
Read the guide!

Post by mkenney »

Thanks. I was aware of the keyboard shortcuts for straight quotes, but somehow missed the ones for typographer's quotes.