Image positioning

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Ghettomaster
New to all this

Image positioning

Post by Ghettomaster »

Hi,

how can i make the text flowing around the image?

I've nothing about this in the beginners guide....

CU
Ghettomaster
Timotheus
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Timotheus »

Not possible yet. You'll have to wait for a future version. See the following thread of almost a year ago: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=flowing
Ghettomaster
New to all this

Post by Ghettomaster »

Timotheus wrote:Not possible yet. You'll have to wait for a future version.
That's a joke? "The word processor for OS X" who have not so a simple function... and i have paid for it...

CU
Ghettomaster
zoul

Post by zoul »

If that feature is so important for You maybe You should have tried it in the demo version before paying for the full one? A lot of people are perfectly happy without it, maybe that’s why it is not implemented yet.
Ghettomaster
New to all this

Post by Ghettomaster »

The feature is not "so" important for me, but sometimes i need it.
Because i thought it's a standard feature i don't tried it in the trial period.

CU
Ghettomaster
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

Ghettomaster wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Not possible yet. You'll have to wait for a future version.
That's a joke? "The word processor for OS X" who have not so a simple function... and i have paid for it...

CU
Ghettomaster
It's not a joke. But it will probably be implemented in a (hopefully near?) future version of the otherwise excellent Mellel.

I have used many different word processors the last 15 years and Mellel is by far my favourite.

Trust the makers of Mellel (I do). They will get this feature out when they decide that the time has come for it.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
blutfink
New to all this

Letdown

Post by blutfink »

Yes, this is really disappointing.

Every time I have to write documents including images, I have to resort to Microsoft Word. Too often I have found myself starting a document in Mellel and then having to finish it in Word because of this limitation. I could live without automatic text flow around images, but I just have to be able to place the images to, say, the right side of the text. I have even tried to do this with tables, but this gets really messy really fast. (Workaround suggestions welcome!)

I have been waiting for this feature for two years now. As much as I'd love to, this limitation keeps me from recommending Mellel to my friends.

Is it just me, or this feature so rarely needed?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

In my opinion, both image placing and text flowing around images are sorely needed: a really urgent desideratum.
Ori Redler
One of the boys

Post by Ori Redler »

Timotheus wrote:In my opinion, both image placing and text flowing around images are sorely needed: a really urgent desideratum.
Indeed!
Ori Redler from RedleX
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

Are you kidding me?! I just came to the forum to find an answer for how to do this, and I find it's not possible? More and more I'm beginning to question my choice to purchase this product. Mellel SERIOUSLY needs to chill out with adding advanced fancy functions like xml and start seriously delivering on the meat and potatoes. Mellel's #1 focus right now should be adding basic word processor functions and making the program much easier to learn and use. Sorry if I sound a bit upset right now, but I am. I'm posting in a state of major frustration, so I might be coming off as overly harsh. But seriously, no text wrap around of images? MacWrite 1.0 could practically do this!
Last edited by BreakNeckRidge on Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

BreakNeckRidge wrote:But seriously, no text wrap around of images? MacWrite 1.0 could practically do this!
As far as I remember, MacWrite did not manage to do that. But I admit it was a very long time ago, so I can be wrong about that. :?

Mellel will get this function in the time to come. Hopefully it will not take to long time…
Peter Edwardsson
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

BreakNeckRidge wrote:Are you kidding me?! I just came to the forum to find an answer for how to do this, and I find it's not possible? More and more I'm beginning to question my choice to purchase this product. Mellel SERIOUSLY needs to chill out with adding advanced fancy functions like xml and start seriously delivering on the meat and potatoes. Mellel's #1 focus right now should be adding basic layout functions and making the program much easier to learn and use. Sorry if I sound a bit upset right now, but I am. I'm posting in a state of major frustration, so I might be coming off as overly harsh. But seriously, no text wrap around of images? MacWrite 1.0 could practically do this!
I think perhpas you may have different what constitutes "advanced fancy functions" than many others. Mellel is a “Word Processor” first and foremost, and as such it is created to process words, not page layout.

XML is an important change in the format as it allows us to more easily get our information out, and post-process or otherwise integrate text into our workflows. Auto–Titles, note streams and structured document preparation are excellent features for a word processor. Image handling is nice, but for a program that is geared towards words, it is not mandatory.

There have often been assertions on the fora and mailing list that users expect Mellel to be a page layout program (like FrameMaker), but this is simply not the case. For those of us that primarly work in text, Mellel is a superb program, and the best out there.
— Robert Cameron
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

macsailor wrote:As far as I remember, MacWrite did not manage to do that. But I admit it was a very long time ago, so I can be wrong about that. :?
you're memory isn't that bad yet, I was exaggerating to make a point.
macsailor wrote:Mellel will get this function in the time to come. Hopefully it will not take to long time…
Hopefully. I keep running into these serious holes in Mellel's basic word processor functions and I'm starting to feel like maybe Mellel isn't fully baked yet and it's time to start investigating alternatives. I've heard good things about Nissus, Ooo, and some others. I really do like a lot about Mellel, but it's so upsetting and frustrating when I run into these major gaps in basic functionality.
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

rpcameron wrote:For those of us that primarly work in text, Mellel is a superb program, and the best out there.

I certainly agree on this one. Mellel is by far the best word processor I have used. Even if it's not the most easiest to learn to use, when you have learned to use it and all its features, it's nearly unbeatable as a word processor.
Peter Edwardsson
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

rpcameron wrote:I think perhpas you may have different what constitutes "advanced fancy functions" than many others. Mellel is a “Word Processor” first and foremost, and as such it is created to process words, not page layout.

Image handling is nice, but for a program that is geared towards words, it is not mandatory.

There have often been assertions on the fora and mailing list that users expect Mellel to be a page layout program (like FrameMaker), but this is simply not the case. For those of us that primarly work in text, Mellel is a superb program, and the best out there.

In the time between when you started writing your response and when you posted it I changed the phrase "layout function" to "word processor function." You have to understand that in the year 2006, simple layout IS part of a word processor's basic functions. I'm not talking about magazine preparation layout, I'm talking about simple layout that is expected from most academic and professional writing in today's world.

A lot of writing I do is scientific, so I often have figures I reference in the document. If all of my images are in line then my paper would quadruple in page length. Scientific papers of today rely heavily on images, whereas in scientific paper of yesterday many images were described. Even in non-scientific writing, Like it or not, images and basic layout are an integral part of what is expected from most text documents today.