Creating an auto-title without it actually appearing?

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Will
New to all this

Creating an auto-title without it actually appearing?

Post by Will »

Is there any way to create an auto-title and name it so that it shows up in the Outline, but is invisible in the actual document? From what I've seen you can't do that.

I'm interested in it because I'm using Mellel to write a novel. Level one auto-title would be the chapters; that's fine - but level two I'd like to use for individual scenes, which is where I'm running into the problem.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

Sure you can:
  1. Go to Insert > Auto–Title > Edit title flows …
  2. Choose which Auto–Title element you would like to edit in this manner
  3. In the Format tab remove all the elements from the “Format:” text area
  4. Add a “Free Text” element to the “Format:” text area
  5. When the Free Text window pops up, insert a zero width space (from the Insert > Special Characters > Space > Zero width space menu entry) and choose OK
  6. With the “Free Text” element selected, click on the “Paragraph style:” drop–down, and choose “Use surrounding”
  7. In the Outline format tab check the box for “Use a different format for Outline”
  8. Use the “Format:” text area to define how you would like the Auto–Title element to appear in the Outline pane
That should do it. You should now be able to insert an Auto–Title into your text, have your formatting and flow remain exactly the same formatting.

However, the is one caveat: an Auto–Title must be the first item in a paragraph—you cannot enter it in the middle of a stream of text. Text can follow on the same line as an Auto–Title, but it just cannot appear before it; this is the one short–coming of Auto–Titles at the moment.
— Robert Cameron