import / export footnotes & endnotes

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

deef
Got the styles thing figured out

import / export footnotes & endnotes

Post by deef »

Hi
I've been working with Mellel for about an hour and quite like it. BUT when I imported a Word document with footnotes, they were all converted to text and stuck at the end of the document. I converted a few to endnotes and discovered what are (for me) some shortcomings that make Mellel unusable for me:

1) no way to automatically convert endnotes to footnotes.

2) endnotes and footnotes are not exported to Word or RTF formats.

As an academic in a field where pretty much every journal expects you to submit in Word format, & where footnotes are in pretty much everything I write, these omissions rule out Mellel for me.

Am I missing something? I hope so....I liked working in Mellel for the most part.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

I'm not certain about portability when exporting, as I've never had need for that with note streams, but you can easily change a note stream between footnotes and endnotes. Go to Insert > Note > Edit note attributes…, and then select the note stream you'd like to change. From the Placement > Position dropdown, select where you'd like your notes to appear. Just simply change it from End of document to Bottom of page.
— Robert Cameron
jb
Read the guide, knows everything

Re: import / export footnotes & endnotes

Post by jb »

deef wrote: 2) endnotes and footnotes are not exported to Word or RTF formats.

As an academic in a field where pretty much every journal expects you to submit in Word format, & where footnotes are in pretty much everything I write, these omissions rule out Mellel for me.

Am I missing something? I hope so....I liked working in Mellel for the most part.
I'm in the same boat, needing both notes and portability to Word.
I have had trouble exporting to Word format.
BUT, I have no trouble exporting to rtf format and from there opening in Word. Notes come through just fine for me.
Don't give up yet. Someone more able than I can probably help you figure out what's going on.

James
nicka

Post by nicka »

R P Cameron has answered point 1.
2) endnotes and footnotes are not exported to Word or RTF formats.
Yes they are -- at least to rtf. I never bother exporting to doc since the Mellel rtf export filter is so much better than the Mac OS doc filter (which Mellel uses).
If you open an rtf document in TextEdit or another program that cannot display foot- or endnotes you won't see them, of course. What is worse is that if you save within that program you will overwrite the Mellel-produced file with a TextEdit-produced one, without footnotes. Could that be your problem?
deef

Post by deef »

thanks on both points. I thought I had viewed the rtfs in OpenOffice but apparently had only used TextEdit.
df
deef

importing

Post by deef »

Ok....exporting is solved but Mellel still has proven unable to import Word docs with footnotes as far as I can tell -- they are converted to plain text and dropped at the end of the document, & then need to be recreated manually.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

First convert doc to rtf, then import rtf into Mellel.
sgmiller

Post by sgmiller »

I can vouch for the "convert doc to RTF then import to Mellel" solution. The footnotes and endnotes are then imported properly BUT:

Here is my problem. I often do this then want to cut from a section of the newly created Mellel document and then paste to a Mellel document that I am working on. The problem is that even thought the foot/endnotes were imported properly, when I cut and paste all notes are created as footnotes forcing me to then convert the endnotes manually, one by one.

This seems to be a problem with all cut and paste operations in Mellel. Does anybody know of a way to cut and paste that preserves the distinction between foot/endnotes? It sure would save me alot of time!