The retro icon

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rward
Got the auto-title mojo working

The retro icon

Post by rward »

I have to say it -- after using Mellel for a little over a year, I don't feel the icon does the program any justice.

The typewriter and the cursive Mellel don't go together, except that both suggest something retro. What's so retro about Mellel?

Is it important to go with the typewriter for some reason (not the most friendly device for right-left languages it must be admitted)?

If so, the current 3d model could be overhauled by a graphics pro (I'll refrain from detailing problems with the current model, since it might have been done by one of the programmers, and they've been good to us). Or a more abstract icon could be used e.g. the Sente icon gives a typewriter "feel" with a nice look.
Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Reiner »

I don't think icons are too important, but nevertheless I have to say that I like the actual icon very much. I can't see any reason to change it. But sure I will get used to another one if this will be changed one day.
Reiner
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

Generally I like the icon, the only thing I'd change is I'd get rid of the II roman numeral. The version number is not a part of the icon of any major program. Generally, if the version number is indicated in an icon in any way it's by changing the icon graphic in some way, such as with a new color. But really, who cares?
ablaze
Already downloaded the guide

Post by ablaze »

I think the numeral is really the only ugly thing in the icon. Other than that I like it very much. If I could suggest what to do to differentiate new major versions, why not try some slightly adjusted colours, like I did in the quick mockup:

digimarkus

Post by digimarkus »

I agree that the icon could use a bit of work to better reflect the professional nature of Mellel. I'm fine with the retro typewriter as a concept. It's distinctive and not used by any other word processor out there. There is still room for improvement and I might approach the style in a more illustrative way rather than using a 3d rendered model. However, what I think makes the icon look quite unprofessional as it stands now is the II roman numeral. The problem is that it shows very limited creativity on the part of the designer and it's closest culture reference is a movie sequel. Not the sort of mental association that speaks well of a product that is innovative and used by cutting edge creative writing professionals.

I think that one of the things that makes the mac so special is the creative synergy between great design and great engineering. Mellel has great engineering, but it has a way to go in it's design aesthetic. And as Don Norman argues, beautiful things just seem to work better, because we are more willing to spend time learning to work with something that is beautiful (rather than against it). See http://www.jnd.org/books.html. As an encouragement to the developers Mellel is getting better in this regard.

- Mark
Edouard
New to all this

Post by Edouard »

I don't really like Mellel icon too. Well, in fact, the Mellel app has a beautiful gui whereas the mellel icon doesn't really match with this icon.

I'm perhaps a little bit crazy but I believe that the icon of an app is important ; it gives a sort of personality to an app. For example, Adium and his Ducky icon are inseparable. Moreover, many Mac Users prefer Aqua Like / Eye Candy Icons [Like Word or Subethaedit icons for example].

I must admit that I had replaced the mellel icon by the "Text Edit" one :oops:

PS : Please excuse my bad english :P
bashosfrog

Post by bashosfrog »

I wouldn't mourn the loss of the numeral on the icon - I can only imagine it was a rush job that inspired it - or even an icon makeover, but I'm extremely happy with the minimalist interface. Tweak the icon by all means, but leave the interface as-is!
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

bashosfrog wrote:I wouldn't mourn the loss of the numeral on the icon - I can only imagine it was a rush job that inspired it - or even an icon makeover, but I'm extremely happy with the minimalist interface. Tweak the icon by all means, but leave the interface as-is!
Actually, I feel there are a few interface changes that could be made to Mellel. Such as, removing the brushed metal/textured interface/option completely. Also, when Aqua style is not really Aqua, but a window created to be brushed metal, but with the textured setting switched off. Why can't Mellel have an actual Aqua document window, with a functioning toolbar lozenge toggle and no borders?
— Robert Cameron
Edouard
New to all this

Post by Edouard »

bashosfrog wrote:I wouldn't mourn the loss of the numeral on the icon - I can only imagine it was a rush job that inspired it - or even an icon makeover, but I'm extremely happy with the minimalist interface. Tweak the icon by all means, but leave the interface as-is!
Does anyone said that the interface had to be changed? I don't think so !
The mellel gui is, in my opinion, the greatest text editor gui I've ever seen on MacOSX. The only think I, we ?, don't really like is the icon which isn't as "pretty" as the interface !
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

rpcameron wrote:
bashosfrog wrote: Actually, I feel there are a few interface changes that could be made to Mellel. Such as, removing the brushed metal/textured interface/option completely. Also, when Aqua style is not really Aqua, but a window created to be brushed metal, but with the textured setting switched off. Why can't Mellel have an actual Aqua document window, with a functioning toolbar lozenge toggle and no borders?
Regarding the Icon, I also don’t like it very much and have replaced it by another one some time ago. I like the idea behind it but for my taste it looks too bulky in the dock. The added II makes it even worse.
While it represents Mellel’s usage of being both a excellent replacement for the typewriter and a terrific word processor, neither, the speed, elegance, the power and lightweight behavior of Mellel is represented in this icon. I’ve also seldom have seen a Icon that shows the application’s version number (Apple Mail 1.0 was one of those).

As rpcameron I also would like to see a real Aqua interface with both, an adjustable toolbar and real aqua icons. I’m not sure if the current TabWell and the StyleDisplay could be built in as toolbar items working the same way they do now but a more Aqua styled window should be possible.
I’ve installed the UNO skin (which applies the unified grey shaded interface of Mail.app to every other application) and have done some new toolbar buttons some time ago. The result could be seen in the following picture but it’s still not 100% Aqua.
Maybe the next version of OS X which enables a resolution independent interface is a good reason to revise Mellel’s interface as some things have to be changed anyway to support the OS X feature.

digimarkus

Post by digimarkus »

Wow! That's more like how I would the Mellel interface to look. Very nice clean, professional and great attention to detail. The Unified look is nice for a start, but the TabWell, the StyleDisplay and Paragraph Ruler look much better with a rounded "corner" style. Likewise, the rounded corner toolbar icons are also a nice touch. Anyways, I vote that the next version of Mellel look more like this screenshot.

- Mark
guy
Got the styles thing figured out

Mellel UI Look

Post by guy »

Not the next version.... but it will...
bashosfrog

Post by bashosfrog »

Looking forward to it, Guy. And will we have the standard OS X toolbar toggle in the top right-hand corner?
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

What about this as a new icon for Mellel? Taken from TTS2 Otherz

Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

The problem with the icon was discussed here http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=64. Since then, I always replace the new icon with the old one, without the II. Hopefully the Redlers will find the time to think of a better solution.
Eleuterio