New page when I dont want it

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

dekkert
New to all this

New page when I dont want it

Post by dekkert »

Hello,
I'm writing my first mayor script with mellel.
And now I'm frustrated.
I got behind some paragraphs a page change.
The character and paragraph styles are the same in the following paragraphs.
I searched now for 2 hours and could not find an answer neither by trial and error, nor in the mellel guide.
My version is up to date.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: New page when I dont want it

Post by jannuss »

dekkert wrote:I got behind some paragraphs a page change.
The character and paragraph styles are the same in the following paragraphs.
Could your problem be caused by the "Keep Lines Together" option in paragraph styles? [Also known as "widows and orphans."]

Check out the Mellel Tutorial for an explanation [the end of chapter 17, page 93]

http://www.redlers.com/supporttutorials.html

Janet
dekkert
New to all this

Post by dekkert »

Thanks,
but that's not the Problem. I tried every configuration there.
But the Problem may be in this direction, because if I choose the "all lines in a paragraph" option, nearly everey paragraph get its own Page.
My Problem starts in the first line:
my text shall look like this:
Hello
I'm a stupid Mellel-user. asdfasdf asdf sdf sad f sadf as fg asg s dfg d g sd g g g dg dgf fhhkööökkkkkkkkkkj ööö öiliiuiiiiiuii klljpj jkjköjkjlk löjkljlkjlkjljlkjl lkjljlkjlklkjlkjl
jlklkj ljlkjlkj ljkljlkjlkj ljlkjlkj ljlkjlkjjl sf sf sdfsdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdf sfsd f sdf s df sdfsdfsd fsdfsdfsd fsdfsdf sdfsdfs dfsdf sdfs fsdf sdfsdf sdf sdf sdfsdf
sdf sd fsd f sdf sd fsd fs df sdf sd fsd f sdf sd fsd f sd fs df sd f sdf sd fsdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sf sdf
but it looks like this:
Hello
[Page change]
I'm a stupid Mellel-user. asdfasdf asdf sdf sad f sadf as fg asg s dfg d g sd g g g dg dgf fhhkööökkkkkkkkkkj ööö öiliiuiiiiiuii klljpj jkjköjkjlk löjkljlkjlkjljlkjl lkjljlkjlklkjlkjl
jlklkj ljlkjlkj ljkljlkjlkj ljlkjlkj ljlkjlkjjl sf sf sdfsdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdf sfsd f sdf s df sdfsdfsd fsdfsdfsd fsdfsdf sdfsdfs dfsdf sdfs fsdf sdfsdf sdf sdf sdfsdf
[page change]
sdf sd fsd f sdf sd fsd fs df sdf sd fsd f sdf sd fsd f sd fs df sd f sdf sd fsdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sdf sf sdf
Page change even behind the first word! And the next paragraph has only 6 lines. So normally its not a orphan or widow.

THanks
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

Have you already checked the invisible characters? In the Mellel window, on the bottom left corner, there’s a small drop down menu labeled »Show«. If you click it and select »All invisible characters« you could see the »break« characters:

The image above shows a line break after the first line and a page break after the second line.

Maybe you’ve entered a page break (via shift+enter) instead of a line break (via the return key)

Another cause could be found in the paragraph settings (either in a created paragraph style or within the Alignment & Spacing palette. There’s one field that’s labeled »Paragraph spacing › Below« If you enter a big value here (let’s say 5 inch instead of 5 point), the space after a paragraph will be huge which causes Mellel to jump to the next page.

dekkert
New to all this

Post by dekkert »

Thanks

I fixed the problem by creating a new document. But I know there wasnt a invisible thing, because they are all visible in my configuration.

Thank you for your help

dekkert†