Numbering for equations

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Phil82
Knows everything, can prove it

Numbering for equations

Post by Phil82 »

As it happens, for my equations I need the numbering to appear on the right of the equation, and not at the bottom. Something like

Code: Select all

f(x) = sin(2x)                        (1)
f2(x) = cos(2x)                      (2)
Is this possible to do in Mellel? This appears to be the standard way of referencing equations in scientific publications.
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

If you use Auto-Titles to number your equations, it’s currently not possible to have the number at the right border, as Auto-Titles always like to be the first element of a new line so nothing could stay to the left of them.
If there are only 3 (or so) equations in your book, you may consider to add the number manually. Maybe this changes in a later version of Mellel.
lbas
Read the guide!

Post by lbas »

Wonder if a 1-row 2-column table with line type "none" might help here? You can move the center divider line around and have different justification and paragraph style in each cell. You can also use an autotitle in each cell without experiencing a return. I have done the preceding. I would guess that you can do these things together if need be.

Woodson
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

lbas wrote:You can also use an autotitle in each cell without experiencing a return. I have done the preceding.
Maybe you have a different version of Mellel but I was never able to insert a Auto-Title element into a Table cell. Pasting a picture in one cell and some piece of text into another to achieve the desired look shouldn’t be a problem but as far as I know, this doesn’t work with Auto-Titles. Could you verify that again please?
Eyal Redler
Co-founder

Post by Eyal Redler »

I'm afraid that as of now, you can't insert an auto-title in a table (except for mentions in heades/footers).
You can achive the desired formatting by putting the equation and autonumber in thier own 2 column section:
1. Insert a section break
2. Insert the equation
3. Insert the autonumber
4. Insert another section break
5. Put the cursot inside the section (between the equation and autonumber)
6. Set the column count for the section to 2
Eyal Redler
----------------------
Co-Founder and Owner at Mellel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mellelwordprocessor
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_b ... 2LWB33YBZW
Normand
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Normand »

Since this issue pop up again in this forum, may I bring to your attention that it has already been a well supported feature request. See in "The Nitty and the Gritty" : [ Poll ] [Feature request] Autotitle (autonumbers) in tables.
Thank you.
Normand
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

Normand wrote:Since this issue pop up again in this forum, may I bring to your attention that it has already been a well supported feature request. See in "The Nitty and the Gritty" : [ Poll ] [Feature request] Autotitle (autonumbers) in tables.
For convenience, that thread is at the following URL: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?t=677
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

I've just voted "YES" to that poll.
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

Mart°n wrote:If you use Auto-Titles to number your equations, it’s currently not possible to have the number at the right border, as Auto-Titles always like to be the first element of a new line so nothing could stay to the left of them.
If there are only 3 (or so) equations in your book, you may consider to add the number manually. Maybe this changes in a later version of Mellel.
I'm afraid I can't manually number the equations, as there are about 60 equations in my document.
Normand

Post by Normand »

Yes it is a problem. I can position the equation number at the right, but when I try to insert something (an equation) at the left of it, it jumps to the next line. Very weird!!!

BUT, maybe there is a very simple workaround.

I position the equation number at the left.
With a tab I position the equation where I want it (well, symetrically to where I want it).
With the cursor in the paragraph I hit the "write from right to left" button.
Everything changge side. It works.

I even think you can define a paragraph style with the tab and the "write from right to left" and associate it to the paragraph style "equation".

Of course I think that it should be directly implemented in Mellel without having to use such a workaround. But the mere fact that it could be done so easily makes me think that it would be possible to implement it. But I know, for having to write scientific code sometimes, that everything is always much more easy to say (or to ask for) than to do it !!!

Normand Beaudoin
Dept. of physisc and Astronomy
University of Moncton
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Normand wrote:Yes it is a problem. I can position the equation number at the right, but when I try to insert something (an equation) at the left of it, it jumps to the next line. Very weird!!!
Unfortunately, at present Auto–Title objects must be the first item on a line. In an RTL paragraph the right margin is the beginning of the line, so that's the only way to have an Auto–Title remain on the right with more information on the rest of the line on the left.

I hear that Auto–Titles will be gaining more features in the future with the next version, but other than allowing more than one style/variation in a Title element of an Auto–Title, there is no more definite information available.
— Robert Cameron
Normand

Post by Normand »

I have tried to define a paragraph style with the automatic equation number at the beginning of the line on the left side (with a center tab) and I associate the style to the "equation automatic numbering". It works pretty well. And when I hit the "right to left" button, the equation stays in the middle of the line and the equation number switch on the right side. Not so difficult to do.

Maybe it could help Phil82 to solve his difficulty.

But when I try to incorporate the "right to left" attribute in the paragraph style, it does not work. I looked in the Mellel guide and it says:
"The direction attribute is not part of the paragraph style".
And there are good reasons for that.
But it prevents us to solve the numbering of equation on the right side (which is the most usual way of doing things in science books) in an elegant manner.

This is, in my opinion, one more reason why it would be great if this feature could be implemented directly in the future.

In the meantime I could cope with that. I have to hit the "right to left" button for each equation. My health is very good so I can do that :-)
But it is not elegant. But it is workable... But...

Normand Beaudoin
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Moncton
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

Normand, thank you so much for your input. I'm using the method that you presented and it is working really well :).

Have a beer.

edit: Would have posted an ASCII beer symbol, but the fonts on this site don't make it display well :(.
Phil82

Post by Phil82 »

Now I'm having some trouble aligning my equations. I have a set of 3 equations which I would like to number, but align together. The following screenshot demonstrates the problem I'm facing.
[img=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3812 ... ug3.th.png]

How do I align them along the equals sign?
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

Phil82 wrote: How do I align them along the equals sign?
Are those equations typed in Mellel (are they editable text) or are they images (copied from a equation editor)?