Applying changes to all modified styles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

Applying changes to all modified styles

Post by ptram »

Hi all,

I have the following problem. I edited a paragraph style, by linking a new character style and changing various other parameters. When I confirm the edit, no paragraph changes. I must apply the style again to each single paragraph.

How can I apply all the changes to all paragraphs with the same name at the same time?

Best regards,
Paolo
joern16
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by joern16 »

Hello Paolo,
before you start and I think that you have done it: define certain paragraph styles and apply the style to each paragraph when you write, for example, the paragraph style 'chapter 1' has be applied to each chapter 1 and paragraph style 'main text' to the text style etc. If you then change the paragraph style it should work in that way you wish to.

Jörn
ptram

Post by ptram »

Hi Jörn,

Yes, this is as styles usually work. I think what I discovered was a bug, but before submitting it I would like tounderstand if I'm doing something wrong.

Try this: Access the Paragraph Style Edit dialog. Choose a different character style to be associated to the paragraph style in edit. The click Save to confirm.

Here, no change happens in any of the paragraphs with the edited paragraph style.

Best regards,
Paolo
nicka

Post by nicka »

Try this: Access the Paragraph Style Edit dialog. Choose a different character style to be associated to the paragraph style in edit. The click Save to confirm.

Here, no change happens in any of the paragraphs with the edited paragraph style.
I have reproduced this. I notice that, if you open the paragraph style for editing again, the newly chosen character style is still there, so it's not that the changed association is being forgotten on save. It's just not being applied on save to paragraphs formatted with the paragraph style.

Certainly this is not what I would expect to happen. I wonder if it is what the developers intended.
nicka

Post by nicka »

A workaround for now:

To update all paragraphs in the file which have the modified style, you can use Replace Styles... to replace that paragraph style with itself.
frvs

Post by frvs »

Another option: Ctr + opt + x (whatever number you have associated with that paragraph style) refreshes the style with the saved changes.
nicka

Post by nicka »

That only applies the changes to the paragraph that you are working in. The whole point of paragraph styles is that a change in the style propagates automatically to all paragraphs which have been given that style.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Nicka, nice workaround. Thank you.
Paolo
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

Yes, I have the same problem. Still we do not want work-arounds which are too time-consuming in long documents. Changing the character style in the "Edit paragraph style" window, should be followed by an appropriate update of the changed style in the whole document. The lack of update is a clear bug in my eyes. And I do think this is a new problem, because this behaviour never occured to me in previous versions of Mellel. Why did not somebody from Redlers comment to this important post?

Thanks Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany