Bookends citations when exporting from Mellel to Word

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

gerben
Read the guide!

Bookends citations when exporting from Mellel to Word

Post by gerben »

When exporting from Mellel to Word via RTF: is there a way to keep the citation information so that i can rescan the document in Word?

I know it works ok the other way around. I have just imported a document in Mellel (aftr unscanning in Word and saving as RTF) and Mellel redid the citations perfectly, just wonder how that works the other way around.

Thanks,
Gerben
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

No, when it is exported into RTF, only the font and style information remains. Also, the footnotes will remain as footnotes, but not as citation objects. If you want to retain the citation objects as objects, to be rescanned later, only Mellel will offer that integration.
— Robert Cameron
gerben
Read the guide!

Post by gerben »

This is a pity.. I think it would be excellent if it works both ways. Is there a possibility to implement something like this? I imagine that if it is possible to convert citations in {} in an RTF doc to citation objects in Mellel this could be done the other way around as well?

As much as i like to completely switch to Mellel this type of integration with the Word world is very important for me for exchaneg purposes.

Gerben
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Because of the limitations of the RTF format, it is not possible to maintain citation objects. If the RTF format supported this feature, then there might be hope; but no support means no hope for citations to remain as objects after an RTF export.
— Robert Cameron
frvs

Post by frvs »

Please note: when you export to rtf, citation *objects* disappear as such, as Robert says—but the citations themselves are carried through, so that you can scan the document in Word if you so wish.
gerben
Read the guide!

Post by gerben »

Thanks all for the answers. I found out it works flawlessly: when exporting to RTF form Mellel and opening with Word the citations are neatly in between {}. Perfect!

Gerben