Uhoh, google has a word processor and spreadsheet program.

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Uhoh, google has a word processor and spreadsheet program.

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

I just checked out google's word processor and spreadsheet program, and every other word processor and spreadsheet is in serious trouble. For people that need the advanced formatting features that Mellel offers, it's not competition yet, and probably never will be. But for everyday users that are just looking for a clean, stable, easy and pleasant to use word processor, google docs is going to be an unstoppable force.

http://docs.google.com
FA1
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by FA1 »

How's the Word compatibility? With styles?
donb

Post by donb »

For the moment, it seems a good idea but still very much in an early stage. For one thing, it apparently requires Broadband in order to be usable; with my dial-up account it takes forever to respond to my typing. It does do unicode, but I wasn't patient enough to try any non-European languages, or to test it out with regard to Word...

Don Broadribb
BobMac
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by BobMac »

I tried the word processor - quick paste job - and saved as a Word doc. Worked fine, formatting and al.
nvalvo
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by nvalvo »

This is a Good Thing.

Obviously Word is the one screwed here, as Google Docs doesn't do anything well, either (yet). They are natural competitors.

Just a moment ago, I used the Mellel XSLT Translator to make an HTML file of a Mellel doc and emailed it to my Google Docs account for archiving purposes. Awesome.
milhouse
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by milhouse »

Wow, thanks for the tip. Nice tool

:)
danzac

Post by danzac »

you don't even need to use the translator (though its an option). google docs accepts RTF as well. Just export your Mellel file as RTF and send it to your docs. The only real difference is that the footnotes are retained as endnotes.
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

Has anybody been able to set up a folder action to email this directly to the google account? I tried this some time ago and it didn't work out, it not only attaches the document to the email, but also the metadata stored in the .DS_whatever file . I'm not good at apple script I guess...
danzac

Post by danzac »

aechallu wrote:Has anybody been able to set up a folder action to email this directly to the google account? I tried this some time ago and it didn't work out, it not only attaches the document to the email, but also the metadata stored in the .DS_whatever file . I'm not good at apple script I guess...
It is probably just as fast to send the doc via Quicksilver. Put the google docs email address in your address book, and enable the address book and email modules in Quicksilver. Then all you need to do is select the file(s) with quicksilver and send to google docs. Takes me less than two seconds to do it.
lutherkent
New to all this

Post by lutherkent »

This has been around for nearly 2 years (and before that before Google bought it). It hasn't been a detriment to serious WP, and won't be for a long time.

It is good for document collaboration, however, and for that it really shines.
BreakNeckRidge
Read the guide!

Post by BreakNeckRidge »

Check it out, google just opened up the APIs to their apps so that users can customize them and integrate them into other services.

------------
Google Apps and its APIs open up a wide variety of new opportunities to integrate and extend Google's communication and collaboration services. Domain adminstrators can use the APIs to migrate from and integrate with existing IT infrastructure. Application developers can use the APIs to extend Google's growing offering of services.

Integrate Google Apps with existing systems:
  • Programmatically synchronize with a user directory

Take full control over authentication of users and leverage a single sign-on system

Seamlessly replace an existing calendar application without missing a meeting

Meet regulatory compliance, data retention, and message content policy requirements
Extend and customize Google Apps:
  • Create a dynamic start page gadget to provide easy access to essential information

Publish calendar event information into a custom display

Create a data driven application that persists to a spreadsheet

Bring real time presence, messaging, and voice into client applications
http://code.google.com/apis/apps/