gray bar for outline items

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

rmathes
Got the auto-title mojo working

gray bar for outline items

Post by rmathes »

seems like for every item I add to the outline pane, it has a gray rectangular background in the main window. How do I shut that off? I suppose it’s there to remind me this is an outline item instead of free text, but I find it visually distracting. I’m hoping I can turn it off or at least change the color of it.

also, I know I can’t change the background color of the outline pane, but can I at least make the font size bigger, or change the font type? I figure there’s gotta be a way to do that, but I can’t find it.
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by zoul »

The auto-title shades can be turned off using the Show button at the bottom left corner of the window, just check off the “Auto-titles” item.
donb

Post by donb »

<I know I can’t change the background color of the outline pane, but can I at least make the font size bigger, or change the font type? I figure there’s gotta be a way to do that, but I can’t find it.

This is not possible on an ad hoc basis, but it is on a full-scale basis. In other words, you can define the font you want used in the Outline pane, using the Character Menu (simply make a new character style called "Outline"). Then when you set up an auto-title, specify in the Character Style part of the setup that you want the Outline Style.

By this I mean, when you set up an auto-title, there is a small pane where you specify what sorts of things you want in that auto-title. This also allows you to choose the paragraph style you want. What many people don't know is that if you click the choices you want in the auto-title a second time, this activates the Character Style and Character Style Variation selection buttons which are usually grayed out when you choose a paragraph style for it.

Don Broadribb
rmathes
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by rmathes »

zoul.....thanks. I saw that before but wasn’t sure what it did. It just says ‘auto titles’, so I figured it suppressed their display entirely or something.

Donb.....sorry, I'm not following you. I created a new character style called ‘outline’ and specified the font, but I don’t know how to apply that to the text displayed in the outline pane. I’ve tried ‘edit style sets’ and that doesn’t seem to do it.
donb

Post by donb »

Sorry. As pointed out in the Nitty and Gritty section, these font etc. possibilities do not exist for the Outline Pane itself, only for the auto-titles as they appear in the Document.

Don Broadribb