window width, outline pane, drag-creating autotitles

For all things Mellel

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kristian
Got the styles thing figured out

window width, outline pane, drag-creating autotitles

Post by kristian »

having used mellel for some accademic work i have 4 suggestions for a next version, some of which i have also already seen in the forum:

mellel document window shrinkable to a narrower width (at least when toolbar and paragraph ruler are not shown).
higlighting of the cursor position in the outline pane
creating autotitiles from text by selecting text and dragging it into the desired position of the outline pane. this would be a senseable continuation of the drag and drop approach within the outline pane. vice vera, to return an autotile to normal text there should be an additional voice in the right click contextual menu under the change context menu point.
option for text-wrap to outline pane width.

regards,
kristian
Kloeckl Kristian
PhD Product and Communication Design
zoul
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: window width, outline pane, drag-creating autotitles

Post by zoul »

kristian wrote:mellel document window shrinkable to a narrower width (at least when toolbar and paragraph ruler are not shown).
How shrinkable is that? Right now I can shrink the window down to ~550 pixels, is that not enough? (Just curious.)
kristian wrote:higlighting of the cursor position in the outline pane
See this thread and make your vote count (at least if the poll is still open or gets reopened).
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

kristian wrote: 3.
creating autotitiles from text by selecting text and dragging it into the desired position of the outline pane. this would be a senseable continuation of the drag and drop approach within the outline pane. vice vera, to return an autotile to normal text there should be an additional voice in the right click contextual menu under the change context menu point.
option for text-wrap to outline pane width.
I would like to second this great ideas.
Reiner
kristian
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by kristian »

zoul wrote:
kristian wrote:mellel document window shrinkable to a narrower width (at least when toolbar and paragraph ruler are not shown).
How shrinkable is that? Right now I can shrink the window down to ~550 pixels, is that not enough? (Just curious.)
i'd say like TextEdit. the narrower it gets, the more tool bar items disappear. i sometimes like to work with two documents parallel, one for quick thoughts and one for writing the proper text. in this case it's nice to have the "thoughts document" as a narrow vertical strip on one side.
Kloeckl Kristian
PhD Product and Communication Design
zoul

Post by zoul »

kristian wrote:i sometimes like to work with two documents parallel, one for quick thoughts and one for writing the proper text. in this case it's nice to have the "thoughts document" as a narrow vertical strip on one side.
In this case You might be interested in the split window feature request. The poll seems to be closed, but at least You can add a vote manually (“Me too” :).
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

kristian wrote:
zoul wrote:
i'd say like TextEdit. the narrower it gets, the more tool bar items disappear. i sometimes like to work with two documents parallel, one for quick thoughts and one for writing the proper text. in this case it's nice to have the "thoughts document" as a narrow vertical strip on one side.
This is not currently possible, as Mellel's document window is not a true Aqua window (in the sense that users would notice). The toolbar in Mellel is not an NSToolbar, which means it will behave differently than standard toolbars in OS X.

I, also, would like to see Mellel's document windows become Aqua windows, with the toolbars implemented as NSToolbars (too allow the user to edit and rearrange them, or hide them). The current method of having the window designed for brushed metal, but simply turning the "Textured" flag off on the windows for its "Aqua" style is not sufficient.
— Robert Cameron