33%
Don't want it
No votes

Total votes: 18

Hans-Reinhard Koch
Knows everything, can prove it

More flexibility with footnotes

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

It has already been asked on the forum, whether one could have two-column footnotes on one-column pages. I would definitely second this wish. Beyond that, I would like to expand the wish list for footnotes:

The „Edit note attributes …“ dialog has four „numbering“ options:
1. continuous
2. restart every page
3. restart every section
4. restart every page range
In multiple-column pages I would want another option: „restart every column“

Presently, in multiple-column pages each column has its own footnote area. This looks typographically odd when one column has many footnotes and another has few or none. Then we have multiple separator lines at different heights.

When „restart every page“ is selected for a multiple-column page, then I want an option where one has one common separator line across all columns and one common (multiple-column) footnote area below.

When, on the other hand „restart every column“ is selected, then different height separator lines and footnote areas are o.k.

Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
nicka
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by nicka »

While we're on the subject of footnote placement, isn't it odd that you can restart note numbering with every section, but you can't collect notes at the end of a section?
If you want to restart numbering with each section, then it's a fair bet that you might want to display the notes at the end of each section, isn't it? Certainly lots of academic books of papers have endnotes (and a bibliography) at the end of each chapter.