Image Names in MelXML

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

mi.cy
Got the auto-title mojo working

Image Names in MelXML

Post by mi.cy »

I just had a look at the Package Content of a Mellel File, and I found a nicely organised folder with all the images that I have in my document. However, why are all these images renamed (IMG_0.pdf etcetera)? Could they also keep the original name, or is there some technical problem prohibiting that? I would find it much more practical if the images take over the original filename when inserted: in that way it is easier to find the right files back.

any thoughts?
michael
Mart°n
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by Mart°n »

Mellel needs to ensure that you weren’t able to insert to images with the same name.
If you create a screenshot which will be called “image01.png” by the Mac OS and then insert this image into a Mellel document, a week later you create a second screenshot which will also be called “image01.png” because you’ve deleted the first one, and add this to your Mellel file, the fist one will be overwritten by the second one if Mellel keeps the original names.
To prevent such a situation, a unique number is added to the name of every picture and that’s what you’ve seen in the “Images” folder of the Mellel document package.
kerovpyan
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Image Names in MelXML

Post by kerovpyan »

Still, if you are dealing with numerous images and you want to modify one already inserted in the text file, you'd like to see the name in order to find it easily in your hard disk, even if you don't have a feature to show it in the Finder. Seeing the name in the edit image popover would be extremely useful.