FrameMaker to XML to Mellel?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

morelandhogan
New to all this

FrameMaker to XML to Mellel?

Post by morelandhogan »

How can I migrate a FrameMaker file to Mellel efficiently? Would it be possible to save the FM file as XML and then reopen in Mellel? This seems to be complicated with FM sitting in Classic mode. Horrible problem.

Help! (More than 15 years of old work awaits your reply.)

Moreland Hogan
ptram
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by ptram »

Moreland,

The best way I know to transfer a document from FrameMaker to Mellel, is by way of the RTF Japanese Export format in FM. Keep in mind that:

- No paragraph styles will be exported at all. However, paragraph formats will remain unchanged, so it will be easy to create new paragraph styles in Mellel starting from the existing text.

- Character styles will be renamed, not based on their function but on their font.

- Table notes will be converted into ordinary footnotes.

- Numbered and bulleted lists will be transformed into ordinary text. Here, again, paragraph formatting is preserved.

- No illustration placement tag will be saved or imported.

Transferring from FM to Mellel is sort of an assisted total rebuild. As you may guess, it doesn't come for free.

Best regards,
Paolo
TLS
Read the guide!

Re: FrameMaker to XML to Mellel?

Post by TLS »

morelandhogan wrote:How can I migrate a FrameMaker file to Mellel efficiently? Would it be possible to save the FM file as XML and then reopen in Mellel? This seems to be complicated with FM sitting in Classic mode. Horrible problem.
If you have access to Framemaker on a Windows machine you can try using Mif2Go and saving your FM files as Word files and then bringing them into Mellel. It is possible to save FM paragraph and character styles as well, but it is painful, I will say