Navigating to and through footnotes (and to the outline)

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Keyboard Navigation to and through footnotes

Yes, I would find this very useful and would like it asap
40%
Yes, but there is more urgent needs
40%
I guess. Not a high priority though
13%
No, this would be useless for me
7%

Total votes: 15

danzac

Navigating to and through footnotes (and to the outline)

Post by danzac »

I would like better keyboard navigation for moving to foot(end)notes from the main text. There is already a way to move from the footnote back to the main text (esc). Perhaps we can highlight the footnote reference symbol and hit enter to take us to the corresponding foot(end)note.

Within the foot(end)notes I would also like to be able to navigate to the next or previous note. Perhaps command-shift-up/down arrow can be used to navigate from footnote to footnote (and this should go from page to page, i.e. going up from the top footnote on a page takes you to the last footnote on the previous page). EDIT: Duh.... that would be highlighting text. Another shortcut key would be needed - danzac

I'd also like a shortcut key to go into the outline pane. We can already go from the outline pane to the main text with tab. Perhaps control-tab could take us from the main text into the outline.

Would others find this useful?
Last edited by danzac on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
aechallu
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by aechallu »

I agree with your proposals.

The way I thought about having access to footnotes is generalizing the approach to edit autotitles: select and enter. The same can be applied to editing tables. In fact the use of tab in tables to move from one cell to another can be also applied to move between footnotes.

Command-shift-down/up : I use this all the time to select text. Moving from one footnote to another is better left to another keystroke, IMHO. See my suggestion above.

I agree it'd be good to navigate between outline pane and text. I think that alt-tab complies with the aqua standard assignment. Maybe control-tab could be used to insert tab? Or what about using ESC to move around outline, footnotes and main text?