zoom

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ppnkg
Read the guide!

zoom

Post by ppnkg »

I'm not sure whether this has been a topic for discussion already, or whether I am missing something I should have found simply by playing around with mellel, but I would like mellel to have a zoom mode that utilises whatever window space is available for showing the full width of the text and only that (word does this). I'll explain.

I normally work with mellel and bookends side by side (by the way, Mellel+ Bookends= killer combination, forget endnote and the like), since I like to add references by dragging and dropping. Now, Bookends does not allow resizing below a certain window size, which on a 17'' imac happens to be almost half of the screen width. This leaves the other half for mellel, which shows the whole page width rather than just the text. True, I can zoom in (165% on my screen) but it happens often that I accidentally scroll left or right towards the margins of the page. A minor problem, but if something could be done about this at some point I would be much happier.

Of course, I repeat that I could easily be mistaken here, so if I'm wrong please advise.

Since I don't post often here, let me just say that the creators of Mellel are to be congratulated for this superb tool and the excellent user guide. Even though I had bought mellel long ago, I had major difficulties importing my bibtex database of references to bookends and so I was also less tempted to use mellel for my thesis. For a number of reasons I took the trouble to do the full conversion about two months ago, so with a working bookends database I started using mellel more often. Today, I bitterly regret that didn't do that much earlier. Bravo, guys.
joewiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: zoom

Post by joewiz »

This would be very nice - shall we call it 'Margin width'?
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Is the "compact view" mode (available from the window -> view menu) not compact enough? On my machine, choosing compact mode with "fit width" zoom zooms pretty much to the margins of the text with a small border. I use this mode all the time on my small 12" screen.

DRM
joewiz

Post by joewiz »

DylanMuir wrote:Is the "compact view" mode (available from the window -> view menu) not compact enough?
Now that I read this, you're right - "Compact view" + "Fit width" does the trick.
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

(see above) It does indeed. Shame on me. Case closed!