Indexing with Mellel

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

eleuteruiz
Knows everything, can prove it

Indexing with Mellel

Post by eleuteruiz »

Being my deadline round the corner, now I *need* a way to make an index of cited authors in my thesis, and I cannot wait any more.

So, could anyone with experience on the subject suggest me a program that could help me to do this within my Mellel document? As I have no experience on indexing (excepting in M$ Word x Win), I don't know if this is possible at all. I mean, I don't know if there are progrs that can work inside Mellel, or if I have to export my doc to, say, rtf, or something like that.

Any informed suggestion will be welcome.

Thank you

Edit: Sorry, I notice now that I have posted this in the wrong forum, it should have gone to "Mellel"...
Eleuterio
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

There's the Index hack (not so great if you ask me)

http://www.redlers.com/download/tips/Cr ... ex.pdf.zip

I guess you could even do it manually, if you already have a list of all the authors in your thesis. Use Preview.app or Adobe Reader and search for the names. Just write the pagenumbers down. Before you do that, make sure that the PDF's page numbering matches Mellel's numbering (use PDFLab to insert/delete pages).

If this takes too much time, you could pay some unix shell guru to write a script that extracts the information from a PDF file for you.

There are other ways to do it, but I wouldn't try them out if you're close to a deadline.
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

Thanks for your response.
signinstranger wrote:There's the Index hack (not so great if you ask me)
I knew it, but it is really more complicated than doing things manually.
Use Preview.app or Adobe Reader and search for the names. Just write the pagenumbers down.
This sounds much better than the hack.

Thank you!
Eleuterio
ptram

Post by ptram »

I suggest you save your finished thesis in RTF format, and open it with Word or NeoOffice for indexing. I don't like the way they manage indexing (for a whole thesis, you will probably go insane), but they do it.

Later, maybe you can go the opposite way, and re-open your work in Mellel, when indexing is implemented.

Best regards,
Paolo