new apple keyboard?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Rabbi Mark
New to all this

new apple keyboard?

Post by Rabbi Mark »

anybody else having trouble with the new thin aluminum Apple keyboard? The issue that keeps coming up for me is the command for "insert page break" -- which is supposed to be shift-enter. Not shift-return, but shift-enter. It's always worked for me before. Now when I do shift-command-enter, I get a new page -- but also a new page style, which in turn causes no end of aggravation when formatting.

shift-enter with this keyboard is the same as shift-return, gives a hard line break.

I just plugged in my old keyboard and shift-enter works great. What's the deal?

before you ask, yes, I did install the keyboard 1.2 update (32 mb for some reason, a real whopper of a program) that just hit the nets today. Supposed to resolve some issue with the function keys, an issue I didn't have. It didn't fix the one I did.

anybody got any ideas?

-Mark
suavito
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by suavito »

No idea at all, just exactly what you described with my new thin keyboard too.

I got today's keyboard update too and the bugs – F3/Exposé and F4/Dashboard not working – were there after the first update and are now fixed.

Bugs aside, the new keyboard layout is not very Mellel friendly anyway because the F keys are important for it and now you have to type Fn + F key. Or, of course, you could toggle the non-FN setting to normal F keys but then you would have to use Fn for every often used OS function like sound etc.

And all of that to make the layout of the USB keyboard (including numbers block) identical to the smaller Bluetooth one. Which can't be exactly the same because of the different place of the arrow buttons.

It would be great if you could mix "normal" F key settings with OS special keys and not have to choose between either of those.

The keyboard itself is, by the way, better than the old one which was terrible. Then again, durability is another question only time can answer …

Back to the topic: My only idea would be to attach a different key to the function you need. If you got the USB keyboard, why not try F19 above the enter key?
aechallu

Post by aechallu »

I actually have a similar problem with comm-enter in my laptop keyboard. Command-sh-enter works.
suavito

Post by suavito »

Which gave me an idea:

Try Shift + Fn + Enter – then something happens different to just using Shift + Enter. A new page is created, but I don't know if it's done the way you want it, Mark.
kerovpyan
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by kerovpyan »

I just got this new keyboard but haven't installed the programme update yet. As this discussion didn't contine, I wonder if the problem is fixed since then.