Book manuscript: Single File or Separate for Chapters?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Book manuscript: Single File or Separate for Chapters?

Post by ozean »

Two things have to be done here:
* under Einfügen > Gliederungselemente > Gliederungsflüsse bearbeiten you have to go to the third tab called Kopf-/Fußzeile. There you can define how the mentions (Gliederungselemente) should look like in your headers or footers.

* to insert the mentions into your documents, you have to click into your header or footer and then go to Einfügen > Gliederungselemente > your-heading-level

That's it basically. However, I think you have said that you are using a table in your header – mentions do not work in tables if I am informed correctly (if you put the mention _above_ the table it might work – depending on your layout).
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

fliegenderrobert wrote: I'm unable to find the way to add > Nummerierung > Bearbeiten nor can I find the "Nummerierungspalette".
For shure it is my mistake I cannot find the way.
Hi,
it’s not your mistake but it seems as if the mention chapter of both, the Engish and the German manual are outdated and use the old naming scheme..
Some (long) time ago, the wording changed from “numbering-palette” to “auto-title” and in German from “Nummerierung” to “Gliederung”.
So the right thing you’ve to insert inside the table-cell of your header was:

Einfügen (Menü) > Gliederungselemente > Level x (where x is the heading level you like to see in you header).

To make this work, you have to create all your headers (subheaders…) via auto-titles (Gliederungselemente > Gliederungsflüsse > Level x).

Hope this helps.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Mart°n wrote:
fliegenderrobert wrote:the English and the German manual are outdated and use the old naming scheme…
Some (long) time ago, the wording changed from “numbering-palette” to “auto-title” and in German from “Nummerierung” to “Gliederung”.
Or do you maybe only have an old version of the manual? Maybe you can try to download it once more from the Redlers’ website?

Edit: just checked, the new manual talks about "auto-title" and the German one about "Gliederung…"
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

ozean wrote: Edit: just checked, the new manual talks about "auto-title" and the German one about "Gliederung…"
I’ve checked the most recent manuals included with the latest version of Mellel and downloaded those just a moment ago. The German manual talks about “Nummerierung” in the “Dymamische Kopf- & Fußzeilen” (Mentions) Chapter:

• Wählen Sie Einfügen > Nummerierung <gewünschter Nummerierungsfluss>.
• Wählen Sie einen Nummerierungsfluss in der Nummerierungspalette und klicken Sie
auf Nummerierung einfügen.
• Doppelklicken Sie einen Nummerierungsfluss in der Nummerierungspalette.

The Auto-Title chapter itself talks about “Gliederung” and should be correct as I have translated that one :D

As for the English version I’ve accidentally checked an older version on my disc so you’re right. This manual is correct and contains the right words.

Edit: Even the most recent English version contains the words: Numbering-flow (which should be Title flows) several times so it’s not fully updated.
ozean

Post by ozean »

ah, ok, I just threw a casual glance at the chapter titles… :wink:
donb

Post by donb »

I do not know what the German version of Mellel calls these things. But in the English language version, in the Auto-Titles set up, there is a set of buttons called Format, TOC format, Mention format, Outline format. The third button, Mention format, is used for the purpose of placing a standard header or footer in your text. For example, the name of the chapter. The Mention format asks for you to choose the Paragraph Style (which you set in Mellel's Paragraph Menu, and if you want a Character style or Character variation different from the ones you set for the particular paragraph style, you can choose the Character style and/or Character variation you want.

You can set this "Mention format" individually for each kind of auto-title you have.

Then, in your manuscript, you place the cursor in the header or footer where you want the particular item to appear automatically, and click on the type of auto-title you want at that point. For example, if you want the chapter title to appear in the header, place the cursor in the header and click on "Chapter" in the Auto-Title pallette. Mellel then inserts the name of the chapter in each header.

Don Broadribb
drew rodger
New to all this

Post by drew rodger »

I am slightly loth to embark on this question as I am sure I am going to have scorn poured all over me. I have been using Mellel since the start but have barely advanced in my understanding of how its more complex aspects work and I try reading the Guide and the Tutorials to see if I can find a way to do what I want and I just give up because the work is needed faster than my learning capability seems to allow. I end up starting from scratch and doing it all manually, each time. I will try to be brief:

I write long documents for projects and these have a common format, are divided into chapters and each chapter into sections with numbers in the left margin for each item and I think I am just about getting the hang of working with styles to minimise unnecessary repetition. However, where things become completely unglued is where I try to incorporate these in one document, so there is are chapters as entities and, if I augment a section in one chapter it pushes the next chapter down so the next chapter's heading stays on the top of a page and not part way down, merely displaced by the length of text I have introduced.

I am undecided about whether I should have the chapter headings in the header and, if so, how to make the header vary from chapter to chapter and how to keep the chapter intact ( I assume a page break would do this ). I would need to have a common header on one side and the chapter heading in the right hand side of the header. Back in the days of ClarisWorks it was quit easy to do this my inputting both with right align and placing a tab in between which would fire both headings off to the left and right extremes.

I need page numbers to be consistent through the document (in footer) and to update as new items are added or taken away and cause pages to be increased or decreased and I would like to be able to set up contents and index which too would vary as the document changed. I am reasonably confident these things can be done but I am stuck and hope there might be an idiot's guide somewhere which will tell me which aspect of Mellel's features is appropriate for my needs and then how they work and then how to implement them for this purpose. I keep reading but I am none the wiser. I keep hoping that I might one day understand Outlining and Auto titles and, no doubt if I had an example to work with I could probably get my brain around it. If someone can point me to the places to look I would be immensely grateful and would endeavour not to waste your time with lengthy and dopey questions again :0]

Thanks

Drew
petrus

Post by petrus »

To answer your questions as best I can:

1. There is no scorn in the Mellel forum.

2. You state: "if I augment a section in one chapter it pushes the next chapter down so the next chapter's heading stays on the top of a page and not part way down, merely displaced by the length of text I have introduced." How exactly are you inserting chapter headings in the left margins? It seems to me the only way to accomplish what you describe is to set a hanging margin, so that you would insert an autotitle as the chapter heading, and then insert a tab and write the text. Do you use a process different from this? Please provide more details.

3. In order to accomplish what you describe concerning chapter headings in the header, it is necessary to use mentions. If you go to the autotitle palette, and choose "setup," you will see tabs for autotitle toc, format in the text, mentions, and outline. Format the mention to your specifications, making sure that you are working on the level to which your chapter headings are assigned (eg. 1, 2). Then, in the header itself, insert an autotitle of the level to which your chapter headings are assigned, and a mention will be inserted that will update each time a new chapter heading is inserted. In order to have header text left justified, and then the mention right justified, you can insert a table with one row and two columns, and make the gridlines invisible.

4. I don't quite understand what the issue with the page numbers is. It is important for each section to make sure that "start from one" is not selected. Then they will be consistent.

5. There is no index feature in Mellel. One day there might be. Do not wait for it.

6. You can insert a table of contents at any point, but it does not automatically update. If you change something, you have to delete it and insert a new one. Make sure the table of contents format is the way you want it, formatting it in the autotitle format pane as mentioned above.

I am sure this explanation leaves many unanswered questions. Please dont' hesitate to let me know where I can be more clear.
drew rodger
New to all this

Post by drew rodger »

Hi thanks for replying; I appreciate you taking the time. The problem, as always, is trying to do things in a rush. I am experimenting with auto-title and think I am getting there slowly but I feel I am probably missing something much simpler. I am working with a fairly standard set up which involves a Section heading, which is like a chapter heading and which should be at the top of a page. I think at times it should be in a Header so it repeats until it is changed but I am still not sure how to get headers to change and what governs their relationship to the text. However, meantime I assume I should have to try to get a Section heading or chapter heading to follow a page break, though this is not working at the moment. Hierarchically below this I have clause group headings which should be indented but otherwise left aligned and perhaps bold. Below this I have individual clauses which consist of a number, a tab and then a justified block of "body" text. Below this I have a type of para which is the same but has a further indent or tab so that I can list a, b, c etc for breakdowns of a clause and, on occasions, each of these breakdowns has a breakdown i.ii.iii.iv etc. I am sure this is a common layout for many users. I am probably being very slow and will get the hang of it eventually but it is a struggle. Mentions I will try to grasp too. I am sure if I could see an example of what each of these features is supposed to achieve I would understand how and why to apply them, which is half the battle no doubt.

Thanks..

Drew
donb

Post by donb »

I think if you get hold of my Beginners Tutorial you will find your questions answered.

Don Broadribb