Drag-n-drop from EndNote X?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

iroger
Got the styles thing figured out

Drag-n-drop from EndNote X?

Post by iroger »

Hi,
first of all, Mellel seems like a really solid word processor. I´m now writing my master thesis in Mellel, and I´m happy to be rid of Word.

Furthermore I want to use EndNote X for my references, but when I try do drag-and-drop a reference from EndNote into Mellel I only get a line like this "{Lynette, 2008 #6}" instead of a proper reference like "Lynette, R. (2008). Abominable snowman. Detroit: KidHaven Press."

Why is this, is it something to do with the preferences, something I do wrong, or is it really that much lack of compatibility between the two programs?

I would rather not start a discussion on Bookends vs Sente vs EndNote, I just want EndNote to do the drag-and-drop properly, and I get the license for free at my university.

Looking forward to your response.
rgds Roger
Reiner
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Drag-n-drop from EndNote X?

Post by Reiner »

I don't know anything about Endnote and so this is not sure, but I think Mellel does not cooperate with Endnote, it only does with Bookends and Sente.
Reiner
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by macsailor »

Reiner wrote:I don't know anything about Endnote and so this is not sure, but I think Mellel does not cooperate with Endnote, it only does with Bookends and Sente.

I think it's more Endnote that does not do Mellel, than the other way around. The only way is to export to RTF and do what you want to do from the Endnote side and then re-import the file to Mellel again. I haven't tried though (a proud and satisfied user of the Mellel-Bookend combo).

This is what I got at the Endnote website:
EndNote X1 for Mac OS X

Word processor compatibility:

EndNote X1 is compatible with the following word processors:
Cite While You Write: Microsoft Word X, 2004*
RTF Document Scan: works with RTF (Rich Text Format) files created by many word processors including OpenOffice, FrameMaker, AppleWorks and more.
* Microsoft Word version X is the minimum required version; if you have an earlier version click here to go to Microsoft Office update web site.

Click here for details on word processor compatibility.
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
obeid

Post by obeid »

if you want a full Endnote reference in your document, use Cmd-K in Endnote and paste it in Mellel. If what you want is full Endnote functionality (bibliographies and such), follow this two-steps process: first, include in your document whatever Endnote references you need using Cmd-C or drag-n-drop; the resulting text should be Endnote pointers such as the one you said you find unintelligible, but don´t worry. When you are done with your paper, save the text as RTF using Mellel export menu and open the resulting document in Endnote with the Format paper option (in Tools menu). Voila! The ugly references are gone and you get a full bibliography appended.
loquat149
Read the guide!

Post by loquat149 »

iroger wrote: I would rather not start a discussion on Bookends vs Sente vs EndNote, I just want EndNote to do the drag-and-drop properly, and I get the license for free at my university.
rgds Roger
I do too, but the academic pricing on Bookends is so cheap and it was too easy to import Endnote references into Bookends using the XML format.

Dave
iroger

Post by iroger »

Thanks for your answers folks, great forum.
I think I have found sort of a solution for working on this thesis. This is my final (hopefully:) ) paper before graduating, but if it hadn´t been so I would probably considered Bookends or Sente for more paper writing.
Rgds, Roger
walterpatrick
New to all this

Post by walterpatrick »

obeid wrote:if you want a full Endnote reference in your document, use Cmd-K in Endnote and paste it in Mellel. If what you want is full Endnote functionality (bibliographies and such), follow this two-steps process: first, include in your document whatever Endnote references you need using Cmd-C or drag-n-drop; the resulting text should be Endnote pointers such as the one you said you find unintelligible, but don´t worry. When you are done with your paper, save the text as RTF using Mellel export menu and open the resulting document in Endnote with the Format paper option (in Tools menu). Voila! The ugly references are gone and you get a full bibliography appended.

I found your suggestions really helpful and wonder if I may ask you to expand on the last section from "When you are done...OPEN THE RESULTING DOCUMENT IN ENDNOTE WITH THE FORMAT PAPER OPTION (IN TOOLS MENU)" I have EndNote 8 and don't know whether this is a restriction but I don't seem able to find my way through the caps section. I have a document saved in RTF (Apple TextEdit) and cannot find "format paper in the tools section -?

Would welcome your assistance as I am quite stuck with my completed first draft of my dissertation in Word but needing to take advantage of formatting in Mellel etc. Word 2008 has no CWYW and I am new to both Mellel and Bookends. So am trying to find ways to drag and drop the whole of my dissertation in Word /Endnote into Mellel with Bookends.
WalterPatrick
obeid

Post by obeid »

Sorry for delaying my response, but I didn´t read your request 'til today. I'm using Endnote X and of course, don´t remember how things went in older versions, but I think all of them had some routines to deal with documents made without CWYW or with other word-processor than MS-Word.
Have you checked Endnote's help files?.

Best wishes

Obeid