Wishlist for version 2.6

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

TomEck
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: Wishlist for version 2.6

Post by TomEck »

Yulaan wrote:And another feature which is important : Index of citation which are entered with bookends in the text, to know where each bibliographic references are.
It isn't indexing like it seems you are searching for but just to make sure that you know this feature: If you hold the CMD key while clicking on a reference Mellel jumps to the first citation of the reference. Of course, it would be nice if I could jump along to the next location where I have cited the same reference again but I haven't found a way to do so...
ppnkg
Read the guide!

Post by ppnkg »

Floating tables and graphs, guys. THE most urgent thing needed!
mikejt
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by mikejt »

... yes, yes to floating graphics/tables ... and I'd prefer that this be done as generalized floating or fixed "frames" or "panels" that can contain *anything* that Mellel can include.

... and as long as you are fixing graphics, how about including LinkBack support (http://linkback.nisus.com/about/) ... it's so handy!
badolina

Post by badolina »

This that will make me go Yay: (that is, most urgent):
- customizable keyboard shortcuts. The cmd-option-# kills me, and I even used to play the piano...
2. Split window
4. Undo after saving
6. Landscape and portrait oriented pages in the same Document
14. Improved Table implementation
15. Improved image handling
24. Font menu with font names written in their actual font
19. Improved WORD
- comments about that: bullets do not convert alright currently, and I would be very glad to be able to convert reviewing from word.

THANKS
omega
New to all this

Post by omega »

I'm new to Mellel, but there are some features I really miss.

Most urgent:
X1: Comments and change tracking.
19: Improved WORD integration: Conversion to and from MS WORD (.rtf/.doc/.docx), import/export of style definitions and names
X2: Better object/image/table integration (float, causes wrap, text fit around object and so on)
X3: Possibility for vertical text

Urgent:
25 and 26, plus the above

Pretty urgent:
None. The above covers it pretty nicely.
I am looking forward to get to know the program more. But I really miss the comments and change tracking not to mention the object floating and text wrapping.
minorbob
New to all this

Post by minorbob »

My wish for improvement is a simple one: for "Paragraph spacing" there is a tick-box for "also at top of pg/column" for space above a paragraph.

I wish there was exactly the same tick-box but "also at BOTTOM of pg/column" for space BELOW a paragraph.

I often have widows (a single line at the top of the next page) because the paragraph style is trying to add space after the paragraph and can't do that on the existing page.
kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by kjmatthews »

1. Most urgent: 4, 5, 27
2. Second choice: 20, 7, 8, 10
3. Third choice: 16, 19, 30
flike

Post by flike »

1. Most urgent: 15, 14
2. Second choice: 9, 19
3. Third choice: 1, 28
milhouse

Post by milhouse »

1. Split views
2. Split views
3. Quicklook integration
4, 5 & 6. Split Views

etc
AsafKeller
New to all this

Post by AsafKeller »

1. Most urgent: *, 15, 19
2. Second choice: 10

*= TRACK CHANGES!
Phrasikleia

Post by Phrasikleia »

Please include control over character spacing/tracking. Thank you.
bowman
New to all this

Post by bowman »

... i switched from Mellel to OO/NeoOffice for compatibility/interoperability reasons, the support of open standards was also crucial for me. Funny to see that almost none of the features i have missed in Mellel appear on Ori's suggestion-list. I'd really like to switch back to Mellel, but that won't happen as long as some (in my opinion crucial) features are missing:

- Support of ODF (Open Document Format, based on XML and ISO-certified) for interoperability with other platforms and long-term-archivebility.
- Textflow around Objects
- Horizontally splitable screen
- LaTeX-Export
- Support of Bibtex-Databases

Just my 0,02 € :D
signinstranger

Post by signinstranger »

bowman wrote:- LaTeX-Export
You could try one of the converters on my website. The Mellel-to-Markdown converter provides an easy way to create simple LaTeX and HTML files, although it has rather limited functionality (i.e. Markdown is a very simple format). The Mellel-to-LaTeX converter is a bit more powerful, but it's also buggy and the documentation is truly awful. :P
nicka

Post by nicka »

And you can use BibTeX references with Mellel via Bookends. (I'm not trying to persuade you to change the way you do things, rather, just pointing out a possibility that you -- or others reading this thread -- might not be aware of.)
skaertus

Post by skaertus »

Most urgent

- Improved WORD integration: Conversion to and from MS WORD (.rtf/.doc/.docx), import/export of style definitions and names

Second choice

- Two-page View, side by side
- Undo after saving
- Grammar-checking options
- Improved image handling (text float around images, TeX-like anchoring of images to text (see DylanMuir: http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1020)

Third choice

- Landscape and portrait oriented pages (or more generally different page set-ups) in the same Document
- Better footnote handling (e.g. multi-column footnotes under a one-column text; footnotes either at the bottom of column or bottom of page in multi-column pages; footnotes at end of page and not at end of section. (Matthias wrote: Right now, when combining several columns text with one column text, footnotes are not put at the end of the page but at the end of the respective section. This can result in footnotes being put in the middle of a page)
- Start chapter (or page range) on odd page and an option to suppress header/footer on an empty last even page of chapter or range

Full Word compatibility is a must-have for me. I also wouldn´t mind to have full ODT support too...