Non-unicode characters

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ymeroz
Got the auto-title mojo working

Non-unicode characters

Post by ymeroz »

Is Mellel expected to support non-Unicode encoded characters? Specifically, I need to use some non-standard diacritics in Charis Pro. So far I have resorted to using TextEdit.
jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Non-unicode characters

Post by jannuss »

Unicode has an extraordinarily long list of characters -- are you sure yours are not hidden somewhere on the list?

Which symbols, what do they look like?

Janet
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Which characters in particular are you using? Charis SIL, released 16 May 2008, is Unicode 5.1 compliant, and therefore should not present any problem. If you are referring to characters that are placed in the private use area (PUA) of the font, those can separately be entered using the Character Palette. They are valid Unicode characters; they are not specified by the Unicode specification, but accessible to any application that can display Unicode.
— Robert Cameron
ymeroz

Post by ymeroz »

OK, I looked at things closer (using FontExplorer X).

The character I want is a glyph variant (glyph ID 1923), but I don't know what it is a variant of (must be in some OpenType table), or how to access it in Mellel.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

unicode character 1923 is "Limbu vowel sign ee" which looks something like a "9"

My guess is that this isn't what you are looking for.

A little more information might help
-- the name of the character you need
-- the language/special situation it is used in
-- a picture of the character itself.

Janet
ymeroz

Post by ymeroz »

It's a combining glyph, used in some older orthographies to indicate a trill:

combined like this:

1923 is the glyph number (decimal, I believe), not the Unicode point (there isn't one).
I am using Charis 4.104 (Mac), OS X 10.4.11.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

OK, I found several things that might be of some help:

first, in the IPA section of the unicode table there are three trills (none of which look like the symbol you sent)
-- 027C, apico-alveolar trill
-- 0280, voiced uvular trill
-- 0299, bilabial trill

second, here and there in the table are symbols that are similar to what you sent
-- 219C, leftware overwave
-- 219D, rightware overwave
-- 21A0, left right wave arrow

finally, you say you used textEdit to get the needed symbol -- how? I don't see any options in TextEdit for entering non-standard symbols.

Janet
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

If you character you are looking for is indeed a "glyph variant", then you are unfortunately out of luck with Mellel. Mellel does not support OpenType glyph alternates/variants. As far as I'm aware, the only programs on OS X that support OpenType glyph alternates are Adobe's programs (InDesign, Photoshop, &c.).

However, you mention that it is a combining glyph. Does it only combine with certain characters? Does it combine differently with others? If it is a combining character (much like combining diacritics), you might be safe, and the proper way to use this can still be found.

(As an aside, in the example you posted, an upright "r" in the IPA is a trilled alveolar lateral. The un-trilled version is a turned "r". I'm assuming for your work you need the version indicated in the older orthographies. Is that correct?)
— Robert Cameron
ymeroz

Post by ymeroz »

rpcameron: Yes, I am trying to reproduce text from an older publication, using this obsolete orthography (Wilhelm Schmidt's Anthropos alphabet, see Anthropos v. 2 (1907) if you are really curious.) As I recall, their r with the wiggle I am talking about corresponds to the usual IPA r. Without the wiggle it is something like a tap (Unicode's latin small letter r with fishhook). I haven't tried combining it with anything else.

TextEdit supports OT glyph alternates (through the typography menu in the font palette).

Janet: I believe I copied and pasted the symbol from a document in another program into TextEdit. I'd have to experiment to get it done again. The same trick didn't work with Mellel though. The other symbols you mention don't look right and have the wrong baseline.

What it comes down to, I guess, is a feature request — I'd like Mellel to allow this character and others like it to be entered, or at least pasted in from other apps, along with general support for OT alternates.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

If you don't have too many instances of this trilled r character, I can offer a clumsy, but useable workaround:

-- type this character into TextEdit with a large font size
-- using screen capture [cmd-shirt-4], create a pic file of the character
-- insert the pic file into the text wherever you need the r-trill and resize as needed.

Janet
Fueesor635
New to all this

The wizard in the sky

Post by Fueesor635 »

Thanks! Bump!

"Husband ah, when are we going to be able to get married ah?" Asked the woman a look of curiosity, from voice to tell, she was asked whether the light is! Their time together in the near future, no more than two years, get along with the two lovers everywhere, will be able to be out a lot, and now, to have a few contacts in the time to consider marriage?
"Now the work is no breakthrough in two years!" A man lightly Road dough!
"Oh!" There is no loss of excitement, seems to be expected!
"Husband ah, that if a child how to do?"
"You have?" A serious man of a woman holding hands, sharp eyes stare at her!
"You grasp the pain I!" A woman shouted out, "I just ask, I will have to tell you!
"His wife, you remember, we are not suitable for children, may be able to economically do not have to think twice, but also psychologically unacceptable, bringing up a child-rearing is not as simple as a small pet; If you have to tell me, I would go to You go to the hospital, get it? "Listening to women, men to lay down their heart, under Sophie
To the voice of women said their views!
"You rest assured you, I will not pay attention to it, even if you have not conceal the hey!
Women's refreshing voice sounded once again! But in the bottom of my heart, women do not know if the men agree, then work with each other are in fact also a good balance and stability; have thought many times, only men have been mentioned in the early exchanges to get married, when contact with each other to become a stable after the marriage has not been involved in ; Datailielie Although the woman, but not really silly! In fact, they really do not know of a problem in the end what? Love is not it? Although not feel it did not feel that love is not love which may be time for both the quiet! Now they live in the house, a woman is half of the mortgage money; she used to balance! Shopping on weekdays, he has never had to accompany her, she never felt any discomfort, the habit of self-entertainment, after all, happiness is the easiest way, it is time to think of this action will they be able to measure his feelings.

"Ah husband, your shopping with me, okay? You never accompany me on the street!" Said a woman fractious.
"So busy! Well-behaved, I have to think of how to accompany today?" Asked the man casually!
"Would you like to do?"
"I go, what to buy their own money is going!" A man of vision has always been focused on the document!
"Her husband, all of a sudden I want to marry you, how do?" Pure and beautiful faces of small sparkling big eyes looked innocent men; this sentence to a man's attention back to her. Looking at the front of the men are not classified under the cruel reality of too many traces of the woman's impatience with the inability to faint!
"The paper for you, this is what is the point?" Put in the hands of men and women intend to work in good time to talk about!
"I do not know! You want to get married and involved with the paper?"
"You want to get married do not want is the paper?" Affecting men under the eyebrow.
"If you would like as you can, and you have never thought I would get married? Is also asking you not to the future, I count!" Continues to be the voice of the light.
"From the very beginning that I intend to go along with you, you would not understand." Indirect man answered.
"You never directly answered my question Ye, no matter what kind of problems!" The voice of a woman on the very satay; "Well, you do not discuss with you, so I infuriating! Hee hee, I own you go shopping, do not you go and sing! "A voice down, she took the package to light the gesture out of the room!

Behind a closed door, the smile was instant Chenxia Lai Ying's face, pale and sad face changed, at the end of a pupil of the eye could not capture people's blurred quiet night! To take steps, walk slowly in the crowded people on the road, his mind was a blank space is also filled with the thoughts have been that he is able to quickly transition to enlarge harm the joy of the happy, exhausted by the effort, but Can not do; DC tears! Sometimes not willing to lose but had to succumb to the fate of fate! This fairy happy, unhappy! Enough to cry, tears up smiling away, walking into the street to the election of his beloved ten sets of suits and ties 10 10 10 shirt brooch 10 pairs of socks and 10 pairs of shoes, credit cards were almost violent brush, but she can smile See eye! This time, she is also a wizard, can infect human spirit!
Can not carry too many things, the car had no choice but to fight back! The elated to show off his own record, he had seen so many clothes, faint edge of the mouth twitch, looking at the side of doing things has always been amazed that she did not know what reaction!
"Ah husband, which I pick, good, right?" Looked out of his suit her self-satisfaction, their own vision has always been her self-confidence! Wow leveling, wow gold, Cheap WoW Power Leveling Store wow power leveling, we professionally focused on providing wow powerleveling service and offers 24/7 non-stop power leveling and wow gold service. With the quickest speed and best service we will satisfy your powerleveling aspiration for your game. We only employ the most professional players and assign only those familiar with your specific class to play your characters. So your character can be leveled by our professional players who are expert in World of Warcraft,We have helped thousands of players reached their desired levels at their appointed time. In addition, we have a strong credit standing and the safety of your Wow leveling, wow gold Cheap wow power leveling Store account will be protected forever. Our motto is "Do what you wish!".传奇私服 And our high quality service, good reputation and competitive price will make you enjoy your purchase from us.
"Husband ah, remember these clothes have been slowly wear Oh, good-looking today to see the Bangni Mai on a whim! Well, you do not like to say a word, I let you go eat bear the consequences, not heard ? "The threat of flying back and deliberately goes Banqi Jiao Didi's face!
"Good! I do not like to say, but so what do you buy? How you always so wasteful!" A man accused of double meaning.
"Oh you, husband, in any case have to buy you called me a useless ah! You have a little more pain I love these clothes now, the better Hao Ma?" Fanciful shaking his hand, look like the wronged ! When he returned to her a helpless look, Rourou her hair;
"Good good! You, so do not remember after the hearing did not? Otherwise, even if you do not like me, fractious Rao Oh!"
"Enenenen!" Hard rock of the head!
"Hei hei ... West ..." Lie Zhezui woman has been kept a giggle, also started seeing this man smiling mouth, he's too cute women, and children as worry-free as well as mature women Intellectual; "wife" as she was, what does not? He was also pondering the parents see things, have been instituted marriage is no longer a matter just want to give her a surprise, with first place, he determined to marry her! "Ah husband and I go home this month Qupei my mother, OK? Graduate now I have not spent a good home, her mother Hao Xiang me, I am afraid to bully his wife's brother Qudao my mother, I will have to make good ' Education 'younger brother! "In the evening when her floor with his hands on him Naozhao itch, he escaped while his claws, fun side:" Do you remember my mother finally have a conscience? "" West, but I have other people Good female child's cry! Husband and I bought a ticket for tomorrow at noon, during this period of time you'll take good care of their own! "
"So you are scheming ah, I say you how all of a sudden so good to me!" A man pretending to Xiongshenesha!
"Ha ha, you have not filled it up! Hate ~。。。"
Laughter overflow the whole world!

In the past two weeks, the men did not refrain from expressing my views at the side of the deserted woman, her naughty miss, miss her body temperature; her phone call, softly-spoken men wear women's buying back as soon as possible! The phone as she was fresh and cool Yin Ling-like laughter echoed throughout the mind that he committed red eyes!
"His wife, you come back, OK? We get married!"
Phone the other end in a moment such as static dead! "You are not refusing to marry me?" After the silence, the woman asked gently!
"I am not saying that I would like to in due course give you a pleasant surprise, but still first Aobu Guo said miss!" Explained the man!
"West, good, you go back and waiting for me, okay?" To restore wizard-like women! Seems to be the same all over the world!
To half a month later, men see women not to delay the re-dial telephone; this time the phone rang for a long time before then, is the younger brother of a woman's access, the men asked him how women have not come back, the younger brother said She also need to address the point where things can not go away so quickly, very quickly this time, please do not linked to his heart! Another half a month after a man received a call from the woman's brother, the phone, his younger brother at once to their home, a woman said something! A man was scared to death, the ticket will be good to run the airport as Jianban!
In the city of x, then the woman's younger brother, his brother recognized a man, all the way to silence the men received hospital; sense of foreboding hung over the men, Ward opened the door, a woman's face pale and thin man living shock, the heart of Meng The pulling of a hard, colic encounter! Soft dragged weak legs, to take a step around a woman's eyes closed, his hands gently Fuzhao of that familiar face, you look forward to patted the! "Stomach cancer late sister, has dragged on for two months!" His brother said softly to one side, the woman's parents and an instant red eye socket! The accident, really unexpected, even to the accident was not clear how Dunong matter, he felt that the accident was in the clouds!

Stomach cancer, had always said that the woman did not always eat appetite, weight loss, said a woman's career, this is done under the pretext that he did not blame themselves how hard to look at; blame themselves so let women alone to the effect that this pluggin The most difficult days! Woman to heaven after half a month! From a woman living in the city sent a letter, the man looked familiar characters, trembling all over:
Dear husband:
I think in a certain, shall we? Yes, definitely, I have felt it to heaven! Husband ah, you want to get married and I really touched Oh well! Originally thought you were just like me and do not spend my life thinking! Her husband, thank you for your love!
With you ah, the world really is the happiest thing! Every morning you will wake up call Ma hand, the West, you know? Her husband, this is the most fresh in the memory of the most moving moment, the home of these days I can not sleep, not your arm when you do not embrace a pillow when Harbor; but I do not regret it, I do not want to see you, I was The disease is not suffering like the human form, I believe for you, I will not let you see the suffering of their own side! Her husband, forgive me, after only laugh in heaven listening to you!

Ah husband a year ago, how much I would like to set the time frame, how have you always want to always bear in mind at the bottom of my heart, but how do you find just could not, I do not know how to do so in order to feel comfortable, I know you I hear the voices of laughter, in fact, I like it or own them laugh, so laugh every day, so you will always remember me, is not a good selfish? I am afraid that after I left you my all into a dust-laden Lian Peng not to touch the corner, I fear, I fear there will be cold, so let your love for me never forget! Every day as I came on the last day, so enough, you have this life, enough!
Last Bang Nimai shoes and socks and clothes, you have a year left in my day to put on a good look at me? Ten sets, that is 10 years, 10 years, you can only ten days time I would like to, in particular the day, you can not be allowed and I think I do not want to, you know I like purple roses, to remember To find Oh, my husband but I am confident of it! Recall that a year is the day to wear, other times not to touch those clothes, if you have forgotten, then you are old, after seeing those clothes, maybe I can think of the requirements of this! West, after you marry a wife, remember to bring that day when I can, but do not tell her who I am, a woman will not mind, said. . . Uh. . . I say, is your childhood, okay? I am envious of those people who grew up in Taipei Story Oh! After you marry a wife, that she is "Our wife," Would you like us to the wife Hao E, as for me, because I looked at it in the sky; though I would cry jealous, but I do not even willing to hurt a girl ; My next life you owe my life, okay? My next life I will be a good good health and healthy baby, I will be forced to put the wrapped around your whole life, until old!

Her husband, I do not want to tell you I love you of this fact, you are afraid to cry! I have seen you cry once, I was headstrong and you have to break; but now you must also crying, right? Not just crying their eyes, hearts are tears! Husband ah, do not let heart stopped in the cell that Qichu sorrow of the sorrowful moment, a smile in the face of life, help me laugh End this life, will you?

From now on, not sad not depressed; I would like to use as long as 10 years in the ten days; after 10 years of my life from a completely clear, I am selfish, but I fear my selfishness I hate you; so I rely on you 10 years, 10 years on, okay? 10 years, we really forget each other, and look forward to the next life!

In carrying out the agreement has been stupid kids

Teardrop wet letterheads, men cried! Gradually the dark days, black, light headlamp came out of the window, finishing a good mood men; "his wife, I remember you 10 years, you would like to ten days, you have to survive a lifetime!"

Gently, into the sky Ni-nan ........