Different Language in one document

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Spinozetti
New to all this

Different Language in one document

Post by Spinozetti »

Testing Mellel for quite a while. The typographic features are stunning, I did not see anything like this in other word-processors (only in DTP-Programs and LaTeX). Also the outline-function is like nothing on the market. I also tried NisusWriter and others, but finally decided Mellel as my thing. I miss only one feature of NisusWriter: the possibility to have a spelling-check in different languages for one document. I know, this would mean to leave the system-wide spell-checking, but it's very use-full, if you have to write text in different languages.
obeid
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Different Language in one document

Post by obeid »

Try the mutilingual option on MacOS spelling corrector; it works for me when I need to mix Latin with Italian, English, French and Spanish.
TomEck
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by TomEck »

If you don't have trouble with a third-party solution I recommend to check Spell Catcher X out. Spell Catcher X has more functions as just spell checking (for example, customizable AutoCorrect, AutoText, AutoReplace, and shorthand abbreviations) and I like the idea to have one spell checker for all applications. However, it always depends on your needs...
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

If I understand correctly what Spinozzetti means, the parts of the text in each language should be marked so the spell checker can check them against each dictionary. My problem with the multilingual option is that, AFAIK, it checks if a word is correct in any dictionary it has available (so if a mispelled word in Spanish is correct in English, it's not marked as wrong).

I've never used Spell Catcher X, but I don't know how it may know which part of the text is in each language. Word can do this, but I don't know if Mellel can. I'd certainly be happy to learn that it can!
Manuel Aguilar Hendrickson
Departament de Treball social i serveis socials
Universitat de Barcelona
08035 Barcelona (Spain)
manuel.aguilar.hendrickson@ub.edu
redlers
Site Admin

Post by redlers »

Hendrix wrote:If I understand correctly what Spinozzetti means, the parts of the text in each language should be marked so the spell checker can check them against each dictionary. My problem with the multilingual option is that, AFAIK, it checks if a word is correct in any dictionary it has available (so if a mispelled word in Spanish is correct in English, it's not marked as wrong).

I've never used Spell Catcher X, but I don't know how it may know which part of the text is in each language. Word can do this, but I don't know if Mellel can. I'd certainly be happy to learn that it can!
To be able to do that Mellel needs to know how to mark a certain piece of text as "belonging" to a given language (e.g., as a style variation) but it is not that smart yet. It will be, though.
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

redlers wrote:...it is not that smart yet. It will be, though.
That's great news! I knew Mellel could learn that, it had to be that smart. :D

Thanks again.
Manuel Aguilar Hendrickson
Departament de Treball social i serveis socials
Universitat de Barcelona
08035 Barcelona (Spain)
manuel.aguilar.hendrickson@ub.edu
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

redlers wrote:To be able to do that Mellel needs to know how to mark a certain piece of text as "belonging" to a given language (e.g., as a style variation) but it is not that smart yet. It will be, though.
This is very VERY welcomed news! Do you mind if I ask, Ori (or someone else in the know), how this will be implemented? As an extension of character styles, or a new meta-style on the phrase/sentence level? Other than language settings, what other settings will this new style type encompass?

Keep up the good work.
— Robert Cameron
Spinozetti
New to all this

Post by Spinozetti »

Hendrix wrote:If I understand correctly what Spinozzetti means, the parts of the text in each language should be marked so the spell checker can check them against each dictionary. My problem with the multilingual option is that, AFAIK, it checks if a word is correct in any dictionary it has available (so if a mispelled word in Spanish is correct in English, it's not marked as wrong).

Yep, that was exactly what I mend. Thx Ori, these are astonishing news. Mellel is getting better and better and it makes is so much easier to work like I need to work. I came over from LaTeX and yeah, I don't regret it at all!
Mart°n

Post by Mart°n »

A long requested feature http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a.
I would also be glad to see this implemented into Mellel.
Roger
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by Roger »

redlers wrote:To be able to do that Mellel needs to know how to mark a certain piece of text as "belonging" to a given language (e.g., as a style variation) but it is not that smart yet. It will be, though.
This is GREAT news! Thank you.
Already downloaded the guide

Post by gnoli »

WOW
Great, really !!!
Thank you, folk. This is n° 1 priority in my opinion ! What is most important than a correct management of languages in a wp app ??
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

I am in complete agreement with those here voicing that this type of language management is, in my opinion, a number 1 priority! Fantastic news!