Change the Format of Auto-Titles

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

barthocr@umich.edu
New to all this

Change the Format of Auto-Titles

Post by barthocr@umich.edu »

I am currently writing a book in Mellel and I am using auto-titles to organize the Chapters, Headings, Sub-Headings, and Sub-Sub-Headings. I would like to have the the Sub-Sub-Headings to be 11 point arial italicized but not bold. How do I change the format of the auto-titles to do this?
DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Change the Format of Auto-Titles

Post by DylanMuir »

Hi,

There are several ways you can accomplish this.

My headings and sub-headings are each associated with their own separate paragraph styles. Each of these paragraph styles has an associated character style. Then it's trivial — set up the fonts, faces and sizes in the character style any way you like.

If you have your headings and sub-headings all associated with a single character style, then you could use character style variations to set up each heading style however you like. In the autotitle dialog, select all the text and elements that make up the autotitle, and change that character variation using the character style palette.

I hope this helps,
DRM
JWH
Already downloaded the guide

Post by JWH »

I seem no longer to be able to change my auto-title formats. I go to the menu to edit the auto-flows, try to change character style for a flow level, but my change does not "stick." The character style immediately reverts back to what it was as soon as I click on anything. I am running Tiger and just downloaded 2.7.2. It has been a very long time since I've done any editing of auto-flows. Perhaps I've forgotten something very basic. But as I recall, I could customize any title flow level with whatever character attributes I want. I look at an older setup I did several years ago, and it still retains the changes made.
John
ozean

Post by ozean »

Are you using a different character style or are you changing the format ad-hoc (for example through the main font palette)?
JWH

Post by JWH »

While in the auto-flow edit window, I go to the character palette (is this what you mean by "ad hoc"?). I am inferring from your post that "ad hoc" is not the way to do it. I've just found a thread on the Mellel Forum "auto title font" that might help as well.
JWH

Post by JWH »

Ahhh . . . After looking at the Mellel thread "auto title font" I assigned a character and paragraph style to the auto flow levels using a style I had already created, and it properly assigned that style to the auto flow title. So your question about "ad hoc" combined with the thread in the general Mellel forum led me to the solution. THANK YOU! The moral of the story is, whenever creating a new setup for auto-titles, FIRST create the style you will be using with it. Then it is in the palette to be assigned to each level of flow.
JWH

Post by JWH »

One further clarification regarding "ad hoc." In my earlier post, I wrote that I went to the "character palette." In fact, I was going to the "main font" palette. Going to the "character palette" allows access to styles necessary to assign a style to a flow level. Understanding this distinction cleared up my problem.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Great to hear! For me, getting the hang of these things was the main step to using Mellel with pleasure :)
nuttmeg
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by nuttmeg »

Hi!

I am trying to modify the appearance of my auto-titles. Whenever the auto-titles window comes up and I try to select something other than what is selected by default (level 1), Mellel crashes. 10 times out of 10. I work with a customized title flow. Strangely enough it only happens with this one and not the default one. I guess my customized auto-titles have become corrupted in some way. I wonder how I could get them to work again.

n-
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nuttmeg wrote:I am trying to modify the appearance of my auto-titles. Whenever the auto-titles window comes up and I try to select something other than what is selected by default (level 1), Mellel crashes. 10 times out of 10. I work with a customized title flow. Strangely enough it only happens with this one and not the default one. I guess my customized auto-titles have become corrupted in some way. I wonder how I could get them to work again.
The best way is to unfortunately recreate them. Delete the corresponding file in "~/Library/Application Support/Mellel/Autotitle Setups/[Title of Auto-Title].asup". Then, restart Mellel. The file will be gone, and you will have to recreate that particular setup from scratch. But, at least it will be free from corruption.
— Robert Cameron
nuttmeg

Post by nuttmeg »

Patrick,
Thanks for your response. I did dig up the auto-title files last night after getting fed up with unexpected quits. It is a drag that I need to recreate the title-flows. This is a dissertation with 4 levels of auto-titles, definitions for un-numbered chapters, equations, tables, figures, hypotheses appearing in text, ToC, mentions..... It will be a sucky job.
I just hoped that I will not have to re-create them manually.

I am somewhat disillusioned as Mellel had seemed so reliable up until this problem. But maybe I can be thankful the Mellel corrupted these and not the text itself.

cs-
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nuttmeg wrote:Patrick,
Thanks for your response. I did dig up the auto-title files last night after getting fed up with unexpected quits. It is a drag that I need to recreate the title-flows. This is a dissertation with 4 levels of auto-titles, definitions for un-numbered chapters, equations, tables, figures, hypotheses appearing in text, ToC, mentions..... It will be a sucky job.
I just hoped that I will not have to re-create them manually.

I am somewhat disillusioned as Mellel had seemed so reliable up until this problem. But maybe I can be thankful the Mellel corrupted these and not the text itself.

cs-
If you haven't deleted them yet, I would recommend making note of your auto-title setup on paper to make sure that it is accurately recreated. I doubt it was the document that corrupted the file, and was probably the program. (There have been instances in the past where Mellel corrupted its own support files used for styles, et al.) Hopefully it will not be a problem in the future, but if there is, I recommend backups, and your own support community. All the best …
— Robert Cameron
nuttmeg

Post by nuttmeg »

Patrick,
So I have started to re-create my title-flows from scratch. As a matter of fact, it seems to be a more serious problem now. I have succeeded re-creating my Level 1, but when I want to edit my Level 2 one (adding variable 'previous level #') it crashes. Tried it a number of times. It crashes all the time.

--update--
I was trying to isolate the problem. (no luck)
1. I launch Mellel
2. Create a new document
3. Use the default style set
4. Select the default auto-title setup
5. Try to alter e.g. Level 2 (or any other) by inserting 'Previous level #' to the flow. Mellel crashes in the instance I release the mouse button. It acts similarly when trying to add 'Variable'. However adding 'title', 'current level #', 'tab', and 'line break' work with no problem.

Given that I am not using my own text with my own customized styleset and auto-title setup, I figure that something else must have gone wrong.

--update 2--
I re-started my computer, re-installed Mellel 2.7.3 after throwing away com.mellel.plist and all Mellel files in the Application Support folder. And Mellel still crashes with a brand new document an all. (Oh, I am on Mac OS 10.4.11)

--update 3--
I used OnyX to do some system maintenance work. I ran the periodic maintenance scripts, verified/repaired permissions and I also cleaned up Application and Font caches. One of those must have done the job as my Mellel problem seems to be gone...for now.