Page numbering question

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

kjmatthews
Knows everything, can prove it

Page numbering question

Post by kjmatthews »

I am editing my CV under some time pressure, and can't seem to recall how to suppress the text of my header and footer on my first page without losing the .5" margins they provide above and below the text of the page body. The only way I can think of is to insert a page style break at the bottom of the first page right before I am ready to turn it into a PDF, and then to assign the first page a style without header and footer text, and all subsequent pages a style with header and footer text. This inelegant solution cannot be the only way, right? What am I missing?
rpcameron

Re: Page numbering question

Post by rpcameron »

Include the header, but set the first page to have a different header/footer. Then, leave the header/footer on the first page present but blank. This should provide the functionality you are looking for.
— Robert Cameron
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

I'm not sure what you mean. How do I set the first page to have a different header/footer without assigning it a different page style?
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

My mistake. I assumed that Mellel allowed for a different header/footer on the first page, instead of just suppressing it. I haven't ever used different headers/footers for the first page, only suppressed them.

I apologize for my mistake.
— Robert Cameron
nicka

Post by nicka »

What am I missing?
Nothing. Your technique for doing this is correct, I think.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

nicka wrote:Your technique for doing this is correct, I think.
That's unfortunate! rpcameron had given me hope :) This seems like an awfully inflexible method.

I also don't understand why suppressing the header/footer on the first page also eliminates the margins the header/footer normally occupies. This seems counterintuitive to me from the perspective of page layout. Is there a way to avoid this?
nuttmeg
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by nuttmeg »

I guess that I am stuck with the same problem. I am styling my dissertation. I am using facing pages with odd/even pages having different headers (left/right alignment of the page number plus chapter title). On the first page of each title, however, I would like to omit the header (which is no problem), and at the same time have the page number appear in the center of the footer only on the first page. However, if I add the page number to the footer on the first page, it will appear on subsequent pages as well. I guess there is no way at this point to do it in Mellel.

csaba-
donb

Post by donb »

Set up the Page Palette as follows:
Odd Page.jpg
Even pages.jpg
In the Layout Menu choose Page Style and in the sub-menu that appears choose Regular & Page.

In your manuscript on the first page of your chapter click in the footer and choose from the Insert Menu: Page Variables and then from the sub-menu choose Page Number
In your manuscript on the second page of your chapter in the header put the Insert>PageNnumber, and in your Autotitle palette double click on Chapter.
Then in the header locate the page number and chapter title where you want them to be

In your manuscript on the third page in the header put the Insert>PageNnumber, and in your Autotitle palette double click on Chapter.
Then in the header locate the page number and chapter title where you want them to be

Remember to put a page style break at the very end of each chapter, in order to start a new chapter on the next page.

This should give you your desired results.

Sometimes Mellel needs to be reminded to place its header contents properly the second time you type up an even page and/or an odd page. This is done just by clicking in the header, and this reminds Mellel to put in the prescribed header. You should not need to do this in every header, Mellel should remember once it has been reminded once. Sometimes it does not need to be reminded at all.

Don Broadribb