Mellel 3.0 wish list

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Mellel 3.0 wish list

Post by DylanMuir »

I have compiled many of the suggestions from the various previous wish-list threads, as a starting point for this list. They're not in any particular order, and I don't claim this list to be exhaustive. So please add any suggestions that I missed!

DRM

=====================================================================================

Janet: ...changes to Sections required for side-by-side translation: independent column flow and moveable column dividers (I want the right column wider than the left).

nicka: My heart says text tracking. My head says round-tripping of rtf styles.

simifilm: ...the ability the define the language of a paragraph so that spell checking is not a global option anymore. (+Marco, +shmulik)

simifilm: ...improved bibliographic options: Zotero support and the ability to have multiple bibliographies in one document. (+shmulik)

vinesey: Indexing (+mycroft, +Timotheus, +Vaissiere)

DylanMuir: Better and live TOCs, indexes and bibliography. Integrated support for all three. (+Timotheus)

DylanMuir: Better figure and caption placement; captions associated with figures and automated figure placement. (+Timotheus, +pepe)

DylanMuir: Consolidating the style system.

Roger: ...rounded corners on tables or sections (border or background color).

Timotheus: Better footnote handling.

Timotheus: Comments in track changes. (+rjleland)

Timotheus: Better table handling.

Flo: ...baseline grid ('per' paragraph, ie. with the option whether a certain paragraph (style) should 'follow' the grid or not). (+DylanMuir)

PakBel: Ability to specify "page break before" as part of a paragraph style. (+DylanMuir)

PakBel: Ability to specify "start on next left or right page" instead of simply page break for outline and other styles. (+DylanMuir)

Cavi: epub export.

DanZac: show invisibles in the find and replace dialogue. (+ozean, +DylanMuir, +Hans-Reinhard Koch)

kjmatthews: Page style break after this page.
kjmatthews

Re: Mellel 3.0 wish list

Post by kjmatthews »

The new page style options have rendered my request obsolete! (Thanks, Redlers!)
macula
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by macula »

How is that? I'm failing to find the option. Thanks.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

The Redlers solved my problem but reimagined my proposed solution. I made my request so that I could set different headers & footers for pages after the first page in a Mellel "section" without having to insert a Page Style Break that would interrupt the flow of the text (and have to be moved with each edit that preceded it). In 2.9+, the first page can be defined independently of subsequent pages in the Edit Page dialogue.
ahankinson

Post by ahankinson »

There's an existing 3.0 Wish List thread here:

http://forum.redlers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2600

Just so things don't get lost in the shuffle.
ID
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by ID »

french automatic insertion of non-break space before ? ; : ! (pleaaaase!) :roll: :roll:
Nick Sloan
Already downloaded the guide

Post by Nick Sloan »

ahankinson wrote:There's an existing 3.0 Wish List thread here:
This rather highlights my wish that the two separate Mellel fora be combined into one. The distinction between them has always been rather blurred, and has led to duplication and confusion.
harryhoffner
Read the guide, knows everything

Post by harryhoffner »

Three years ago I requested a split screen feature to facilitate editing in two locations simultaneously in a book-length document. I still find that a necessary feature. I believe I have seen others on this forum agree.

I also once requested an ability to hyperlink to information on the internet via URLs embedded in a Mellel document.
Vaissiere
Read the guide!

Post by Vaissiere »

ID wrote:french automatic insertion of non-break space before ? ; : ! (pleaaaase!) :roll: :roll:
and, for french too, automatic change of centuries (in Roman numbers) + e to centuries + Subscript e, that is VIIIe should be with a subscript e
miles11

Post by miles11 »

harryhoffner wrote:Three years ago I requested a split screen feature to facilitate editing in two locations simultaneously in a book-length document. I still find that a necessary feature. I believe I have seen others on this forum agree.

I also once requested an ability to hyperlink to information on the internet via URLs embedded in a Mellel document.

I'd also love to see a split screen feature added to Mellel. It's a highly useful feature many people would be able to benefit from straight away.

There's a FREE app called Growly Write that has the split screen feature. Write has a surprising number of useful features. I use this app in place of Text Edit for a lot of small writings: emails, short pieces, etc., just because I like using it.

Find it here, if you'd like to give it a spin:
www.growlybird.com/write/index.html
====

The same developer sells Growly Notes for 4.99 at the App Store. Notes offers floating windows for quick, easy note taking, and some useful Services options, etc. I always have it open and ready to use.
www.growlybird.com/notes/index.html
JBB
New to all this

Post by JBB »

How about document variables behaving properly as in word wrapping at margins like they should?
Flo
Read the guide!

Post by Flo »

Thanks for compiling this list.

Additionally, although not necessarily urgent, but I think relevant if we write documents that are meant to be read on screen (and not or not only in printed form):
a) Responsive layout, i.e. the option to define certain properties of document in relation to the size of the screen on which the document is read (e.g. font size, line spacing, document margins)
b) Paragraph numbering for such responsive layouts (as the size of pages will vary, paragraph numbering seems more adequate)
c) Built-in Mellel reader, so that others can read documents without downloading Mellel (with the option to completely block editing in a document, i.e. to produce read-only documents for others)
pepe
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by pepe »

DylanMuir: Better figure and caption placement; captions associated with figures and automated figure placement. (+Timotheus, +pepe)
almost five years later, and we are still unable to do this without resorting to clumsy workarounds with tables...

Sad...