Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

Layout=2 pages, bug in Mellel or OSX ??

Post by jannuss »

Everyone,

I'd like to revisit a problem I've raised before:
Unlike most applications I use, Mellel uniquely saves all printer settings with the file.
For example, if the last time i printed a file, I selected 6 copies of pages 12 through 15, the next time I launch Mellel and go to print from this file it will be set to print 6 copies from pages 12 through 15.

This is OK.

My problems start when I select the Layout option, for example Layout=2
If I print a file two pages per sheet (Layout = 2), save it, launch Mellel again. and select Print, my printing settings are all saved including Layout = 2
BUT
The printer ignores the Layout setting and prints full size (Layout=1)!
The only way I can restore two=page printing is to select Layout=1 and then reselect Layout=2

This is clearly a bug.

My question is: is the bug in Mellel or OSX? Do I report it to the Redlers or to Apple?

Janet
DRB

Re: Layout=2 pages, bug in Mellel or OSX ??

Post by DRB »

I regret to say it is a bug in Apple's operating system, and not one of Mellel's. With every new version of system OS X Apple makes some changes in the way its print system works, and most manufacturers of printers are very negligent in modifying the printing system that goes with your particular printing machine.

Don Broadribb
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

DRB wrote:I regret to say it is a bug in Apple's operating system, and not one of Mellel's. With every new version of system OS X Apple makes some changes in the way its print system works, and most manufacturers of printers are very negligent in modifying the printing system that goes with your particular printing machine.

Don Broadribb
In that case, Don, I should be talking to HP about their driver. Correct?
DRB

Post by DRB »

Yes.

Don Broadribb
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

Sadly, the new release of HP's new driver which arrived via Software Update this morning (version 2.9) did not include a fix for my problem

Actually, it's very obscure: the chances of anyone not using Mellel of discovering it are slim

I'll contact HP.
tika-tika
Knows everything, can also explain

Post by tika-tika »

Has this been resolved? It is quite irritating. I don't know that the driver can be blamed. My workflow for this is to print to PDF, then print 2-up layout from the PDF and it works fine. The only program on my setup that does not work correctly for this is Mellel. The word around is a minor irritant.
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

tika-tika wrote:Has this been resolved? It is quite irritating. I don't know that the driver can be blamed. My workflow for this is to print to PDF, then print 2-up layout from the PDF and it works fine. The only program on my setup that does not work correctly for this is Mellel. The word around is a minor irritant.
No, the bug hasn't been fixed.
I tried to contact HP about this, but had no success.

I just make it a rule to reset Layout to 1 page per sheet and then reset to 4 pages per sheet overtime I print in that format.

Janet