jannuss
Knows everything, can prove it

and on to 3.1

Post by jannuss »

I understand that live bibliography is a BIG DEAL
and
language switching is definitely cool
but
may I add a very kind words for the (many) other important updates we'd like to see in 3.1

For example
-- indexing
-- improvements in sections (non-symmetric columns, column flow, etc.)
-- improving tables
etc., etc., etc.

Janet
markusbern
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: and on to 3.1

Post by markusbern »

I enjoy the new GUI and the new features.

But
--> I need sections and tables over several pages.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

The 3.0 update was a major improvement for the way I use Mellel/Bookends, not just thanks to the major features (language switching and live bibliography) but to smaller improvements as well (especially the enhanced granularity of page and section settings).

Since the Redlers began a discussion on indexing in April 2011, I hoped it would find its way into 3.0, but alas. It is the only feature I'm still looking for in my workflow!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

@kjmatthews: the discussion on indexing was restarted, not started, in april 2011. It was started by the Redlers themselves in 2006 (!). See here.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

They need to bring the Sente integration up to par with the Bookends integration as well.
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

Although I don't really need it, indexing is probably a given for the next version. Some things I (still) like to see:
  • The ability to have multiple Auto-Titles on the same level of hierarchy. I often have the situation where a title type (for example a chapter) can be either numbered or unnumbered. Unfortunately, it's not possible to have two variants of the same title which look differently but will be displayed on the same level in the outline pane.
  • Correct export of comments
  • .docx import/export.
  • Track changes needs improvements: The ability to accept several changes at once is vital. In a document with lots of changes this really becomes a big deal.
  • Print document without the changes.
  • The way Mellel behaves when there are many changes, is far from ideal. A typical situation: I get a document with many changes. Mellel will then display the changes on the left and when there are too many to display an arrow at the bottom allows me to switch between the sets of changes. Now if I don't accept the first changes, I always have to click the arrow the go to the latter changes. If there are many changes in a document, this quickly adds up and wastes a lot of time.
  • Support for multiples bibliographies (primary, secondary …) in one document.
  • BibDesk support.
  • Zotero support.
  • Floating images and tables
jannuss

Post by jannuss »

simifilm wrote: ...
Floating images and tables
We already have floating images -- are you unhappy with the implimentation?

As for "floating" tables. I think simply being able to justify a table would solve most of my issues

Janet
daiyi

Post by daiyi »

Comments feature, please.
simifilm

Post by simifilm »

jannuss wrote:
simifilm wrote: ...
Floating images and tables
We already have floating images -- are you unhappy with the implimentation?

As for "floating" tables. I think simply being able to justify a table would solve most of my issues

Janet

Sorry, should have been more clear: I was thinking about LaTeX-style floating where you can define that an image stays at the top or bottom of a page.
nicka

Post by nicka »

Pdf table of contents.
Links in pdfs for footnotes, endnotes and bibliography references.
Also weblinks in exported pdfs.
ealvarez

Post by ealvarez »

Indexing would be great.

docx import/export is becoming a necessity for any word processor.

[Edit] Captions for Table and Figures would be a major feature.
Don't know if it would be realistic, but more and more I hear about (multi)markdown and html5 (in fact, I may use it in Scrivener) and it would be nice to easy the importation / exportation with Mellel instead to rely on .rtf.
Last edited by ealvarez on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

I'm a little surprised that there's a live bibliography, but no live tables of contents. Live bib. requires a round-trip interaction with a piece of external software, whereas live contents would all be done within Mellel.

DRM
Hans-Reinhard Koch

Post by Hans-Reinhard Koch »

Yes, Janet, we have floating images, but no way to add legends (captions) to our floating images, much more urgent than tex-like placement and definitely something needed in scientific texts (time and again mentioned on this forum)
And secondly, yes Dylan, live TOCs would be an immense help
And thirdly, all of you, indexing, indexing, indexing … that would be my most important wishes for 3.1, or even better: 3.01
best regards,
Hans-Reinhard
Hans-Reinhard Koch, Bonn, Germany
Declan

Post by Declan »

I really think that something that would facilitate working with texts that have been generated in Scrivener would be very important.

Examples that come to mind would include
(1) anything that would make selecting all instances of a certain paragraph and character style combination easier (it is not at all easy, right now, to identify these things through the replace styles dialogue), and imposing a new paragraph style on them
(2) the ability to select all instances of a particular style (generated in Scrivener, for example) and impose and define all of them as an autotitle. For example, any line of text that is Times, Bold and 14 pts could be identified as Section, and and anything that is Times, Bold and 12 pts could be identified as Subsection.

For what it's worth,

Declan
Declan

Post by Declan »

I really think that something that would facilitate working with texts that have been generated in Scrivener would be very important.

Examples that come to mind would include
(1) anything that would make selecting all instances of a certain paragraph and character style combination easier (it is not at all easy, right now, to identify these things through the replace styles dialogue), and imposing a new paragraph style on them
(2) the ability to select all instances of a particular style (generated in Scrivener, for example) and impose and define all of them as an autotitle. For example, any line of text that is Times, Bold and 14 pts could be identified as Section, and and anything that is Times, Bold and 12 pts could be identified as Subsection.

For what it's worth,

Declan