Spellchecking: German (Switzerland) not working

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

simifilm
Knows everything, can prove it

Spellchecking: German (Switzerland) not working

Post by simifilm »

This is strange: When I choose "German (Switzerland)" as language, spell checking doesn't work. Neither "Edit -> Spelling -> Check Spelling" nor "Check Spelling as You Type". The first just gives me an error sound, if the latter is selected, nothing at all happens. If I select "German" as language, everything works fine.
DRB
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Spellchecking: German (Switzerland) not working

Post by DRB »

Do you have a German (Switzerland) Spelling dictionary installed?

As far as I can see, Apple does not provide a separate keyboard for German (Swtzerland), and this may be the root of the problem.
Mellel 3.0 requires that a separate keyboard be chosen in order for it to automatically switch language dictionary checking. If two languages use the same keyboard, Mellel cannot distinguish one language from the other. This is a major bug in Mellel 3.0 which may or may not be fixable. It has already been pointed out to the Redlers, and Ori agreed that it s indeed a major problem.

Don Broadribb
markusbern
Got the styles thing figured out

Re: Spellchecking: German (Switzerland) not working

Post by markusbern »

Here it works.
Set the keyboard (Eingabequelle) to "Schweiz, deutsch" and the language (Sprachen) to German.

Then you will need a Swissgerman Dictionary. You can download it from the Openoffice / Extension site and install it under Library / Spelling.

Then you need to set up Mellel 3.0

For the Installation of the dictionary, check the mailing list, there is an extensive explanation.

Or send me a Private Message, then we can talk Swiss-German.