Little Boxes in Specialized Font Input

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

gguthrie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Little Boxes in Specialized Font Input

Post by gguthrie »

I have long used certain Mathmatical Fraktur symbols in my Mellel documents. Suddenly (since installing Moutain Lion?) I get the little unicode box instead of the symbol. The symbol still works in MSWord, so the font is on the computer. Does anyone have an idea of how to correct the problem? Thanks.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Little Boxes in Specialized Font Input

Post by rpcameron »

What font are you using, and which symbol is missing? (Also, if you know its Unicode position, that would be helpful, too.)

After doing a little searching on my machine, I found the Mathematical Fraktur characters at U+1D56C–U+1D59F. On my system, then only 2 fonts installed that had all of those characters are Cambria Math (which ships with MS Office I believe) and the STIX fonts and some of its variants (which were installed with Adobe CS I think). You may want to try changing the font to Cambria Math in Mellel to see if that fixes your problem, since Mellel's font substitution may not be working well for you in this case.

(The STIX fonts are freely available, so if there happens to be an issue with a missing font, you can easily rectify that situation.)
— Robert Cameron
gguthrie
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by gguthrie »

Thanks for the response. The change to the fonts you mentioned worked. However, I had been creating these same characters before from within unicode fonts like Gentium and Times New Roman. I am not sure why that quit working.

However, I can move on using these alternate fonts. Thanks.

George
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

Times New Roman does not actually include the character, and I do not believe Gentium does either. However, what about setting a secondary font for your preferred character style?
— Robert Cameron