Keep Auto-Titles with following paragraph

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

harryhoffner
Read the guide, knows everything

Keep Auto-Titles with following paragraph

Post by harryhoffner »

How can I set Mellel to keep my auto titles together with the opening line or lines of the following paragraph?

This is something that can be done for ordinary paragraph styles, including Headings, but I cannot discover how it can be linked to auto-titles, and this is where I need this feature.

Many thanks.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Keep Auto-Titles with following paragraph

Post by rpcameron »

Make sure the paragraph style assigned to your Auto-Titles has the "Keep with next: [x] lines" option set. If you want to unsure that it only attaches to the next paragraph, set that to only 1 line. If you want to ensure that your paragraphs have no widows, set it to 2, and set the the following paragraph's style to "Keep lines together" "At start/end of paragraph", and set that value to "Lines at start:" to 2. This will ensure that your Auto-Title is paired with the following paragraph, and that the following paragraph has a minimum of 2 lines following the Auto-Title at the bottom of the page.
— Robert Cameron
harryhoffner

Post by harryhoffner »

I don't understand how to assign a paragraph style to an auto-title. When I select Insert>Auto-titles>Edit Title Flows, there doesn't seem to be an option to assign a paragraph style to any of the flows. And under the menu Styles>Edit Style Sets there are no Auto-titles to which I can assign a style. I think this was my problem all along, not that I didn't understand that I needed to do what you suggest, but how to do that assigning: under what menu etc.
ozean

Post by ozean »

You will have to use the paragraph style palette while you have the "Edit Title Flows" dialogue open. If you look at it, you will see that the assigned style will have a checkmark at its side.
harryhoffner

Post by harryhoffner »

I do appreciate your attempt to help me and thank you. But I'm afraid this still does not answer my question. Yes, I can now see what paragraph style is assigned to a particular title flow. But it is near the bottom of the window in the section where all styles are preceded by little diamonds, meaning that they are sort of ad-hoc styles, assigned by the user to maybe one instance in the document, not pre-designed ones in regular use. And there is no way that I can access this style and customize it to keep the first line or two of the following paragraph. I'm afraid this is too confusing to be handled on the forum. I will need direct help from the friendly folks at Redlers. Thank you for trying.
nicka

Post by nicka »

You need to create and assign a non-ad hoc paragraph style, I think.