Fix equation alignment in Mellel

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DylanMuir
Knows everything, can prove it

Fix equation alignment in Mellel

Post by DylanMuir »

Hi,

I used to use MathType to generate equations to embed in Mellel. This used to work great -- Mellel would automatically incorporate the baseline adjustment from a pasted equation, and everything looked perfect.
However, with the latest versions of Mellel and MathType, the baseline adjustment is lost. It's very tedious to manually shift the baseline for every single equation I insert (which could be a variable mentioned in a block to text, for example).
I would like the Redlers to work out whether Mellel or MathType has broken this functionality.

Alternatively, if others are using equations successfully with Mellel, I'd like to hear how.

DRM
laup

Re: Fix equation alignment in Mellel

Post by laup »

Dylan, I am about to start doing a lot of equation work and spotted your post, which caused me to worry. I just tried a couple of equations and they looked fine but may be doing something different. Did your issues go away with updates or do they persist? If they persist, can you be a bit more specific about where problems arise? Thanks.
Paul
nicka

Post by nicka »

I thought I remembered this being fixed in a recent update, but I can't find it in the release notes: http://www.redlers.com/releasenotes.html

I would email the Redlers to check if I were in your position.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Unfortunately this is not fixed.

With the latest version of MathType (6.7e) and the latest release of Mellel (3.2b10), using both PICT and PDF formats for copying from MathType, the baseline is still not corrected in the Mellel document.

If you enter a formula that should extend above and below the text, for example using Sigma notation or a fraction that spans two lines, you can see the problem immediately.

DRM
laup

Post by laup »

Drat. You're right, it's not fixed. This is a serious problem. I didn't see it in my earlier experiment, but it showed up this morning when I was working in a table cell and I then verified in ordinary text.
Paul