"Combo-Saving"

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ahd
Got the styles thing figured out

"Combo-Saving"

Post by ahd »

Hi!

I have a humble feature request to make. I am a paranoid and backup fanatic. Every hour or so I save my work as .mellel, .txt, .rtf, .doc and .pdf on my hard drive, thumb drive and Dropbox. Nothing too much of a hassle but I'd like to have a function that lets me save into multiple locations at once. Perhaps other people think alike …

Thanks for reading!
Andreas
ahankinson
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: "Combo-Saving"

Post by ahankinson »

If you save to your dropbox it will automatically upload to their cloud, where your documents are versioned.

If you're on OSX 10.7 or later, Mellel will take advantage of the versioning features in the OS and save a snapshot for every change you make automatically. It will also auto-save a backup copy to your ~/Library folder every 30 minutes, or less if you set it. If you have Time Machine enabled, it will also make a snapshot of it to your external drive.

Yes, there is a small chance that you can delete all the versions on your local computer, and all the versions on dropbox, and all the versions in your ~/Library folder, but it would almost need to be a conscious decision.

By all means, save as many copies as you want if it makes you feel safe, but saving multiple different formats in one go is something very few pieces of software do. There are lots of tools out there that are built into the system that do this for you.
suavito
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: "Combo-Saving"

Post by suavito »

Maybe Hazel is a software that can do what you want: http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

You could set one (or more) folder on your Mac for backups of Mellel and other important software of yours and then create a folder action for that folder in Hazel that copies every new file in there to other folders or drives.

Please note that

a) folder actions are a OS X feature which work without Hazel, Hazel is just a comfortable UI to do so without deeper knowledge of OS X and

b) folder actions might cause trouble and most of all trouble that might go undetected for quite a while because they are running in the background. Before you use them on real data you should play around with dummy files to see if you get what you expect.
The finger is the most popular bird.