Making the bibliography window in the palette useful

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

harryhoffner
Read the guide, knows everything

Making the bibliography window in the palette useful

Post by harryhoffner »

I mentioned this once in a posting over a year ago. I make extensive use of citations from Bookends in long documents, and would love to be able to invoke entries already used elsewhere in the long document. But the listing in the palette gives too little (or the wrong) information for me to be able to disambiguate between two or more entries by the same author. I frequently cite multiple publications by the same author in the same year. Either there should be more information than author-last-name + year, or the year should be omitted in favor of the first two words of the title. As it is, I simply never use that pane, and that is a real pity.
ozean
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Making the bibliography window in the palette useful

Post by ozean »

I also want to support this feature request - shouldn’t be that hard to implement but can make work with citations much easier in Mellel. :)
macsailor

Post by macsailor »

+
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.
DylanMuir

Post by DylanMuir »

Great suggestion.
rickl
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by rickl »

harryhoffner wrote: I frequently cite multiple publications by the same author in the same year. Either there should be more information than author-last-name + year, or the year should be omitted in favor of the first two words of the title. As it is, I simply never use that pane, and that is a real pity.
Excellent suggestion.
Sergio
Got the styles thing figured out

Post by Sergio »

For me, the main problem with Bibliography palette is the tiny font... O really would like to increase the font in order to actually view the cited works.
growlerbox

Post by growlerbox »

harryhoffner wrote:I mentioned this once in a posting over a year ago. I make extensive use of citations from Bookends in long documents, and would love to be able to invoke entries already used elsewhere in the long document. But the listing in the palette gives too little (or the wrong) information for me to be able to disambiguate between two or more entries by the same author. I frequently cite multiple publications by the same author in the same year. Either there should be more information than author-last-name + year, or the year should be omitted in favor of the first two words of the title. As it is, I simply never use that pane, and that is a real pity.
Yes -- something like "Name, Year a,b,c ..." would seem to be a fairly straightforward way around this.
Pharaoh

Post by Pharaoh »

Resurrecting the thread of some month ago, if it was possible to sort the used entries by author's surname and short tItle will be possibly one of the most useful things of the bibliographic tab.

Rob
frvs

Post by frvs »

Pharaoh wrote:Resurrecting the thread of some month ago, if it was possible to sort the used entries by author's surname and short tItle will be possibly one of the most useful things of the bibliographic tab.

Rob
Ditto.