Character attributes in cross-references

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Shelly Harrison
Already downloaded the guide

Character attributes in cross-references

Post by Shelly Harrison »

I'm experimenting with auto-titles for the first time in a paper I'm working on, and it's proving a bit frustrating. I have cross-references to auto-titles both in the body of the paper and in the footnotes. The problem is that the character settings for these two sorts of objects are different—the footnotes are a smaller font size. I set the Ref format initially for the text body font size, and now I can't seem to change it in the footnotes. All auto-titles refs in my footnotes are too big.

I can't seem to find any reference to this problem either in the guide or on the forum. Can anyone point me to a solution? (A 'use surrounding font' setting for cross-references would be nice.) I apologize in advance if there is a quick fix for this that I haven't managed to find.
yinglam
Got the auto-title mojo working

Re: Character attributes in cross-references

Post by yinglam »

Just came across this. Has it been solved?
DavidH
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by DavidH »

I don’t know about 2013, but this isn’t a problem now. You can set up new reference formats and edit new ones using the Edit Reference dialog (Insert > Cross Reference > Insert Reference). General instructions for doing this are in Chapter 11 of the manual. What the manual doesn’t explicitly say is that if you want some or all of the elements of your reference to match their surroundings in the text, this can be achieved by selecting those elements in the box at the bottom of the dialog, going to the Character styles side of the Character palette, and choosing the special

<use surroundings>

option that appears at the top of the panel ahead of the regular defined Character styles in your document.
The video on Formatting Cross References steps you through this process.
yinglam
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by yinglam »

Thanks so much. Let me try.