Keeping track with additional Auto-Title Information:

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

Bruno
Got the styles thing figured out

Keeping track with additional Auto-Title Information:

Post by Bruno »

Writing on a fairly complex document over an extended period of time and not in a strict from-start-to-end-mode, I have begun to colour-code individual chapter Auto-Titles with Marker colours to better keep track of each chapters progress:
Red Marker = Not really started yet (just some preliminary information entered)
Orange Marker = Major rewriting required
Yellow Marker = Re-writing required
Green Marker = Finished

However, the highlight colours of the Auto-Titles are not visible in the Outline pane for a quick glance of the documents' status.

Rectifying this, I have come up with two feature requests, the first being simple and the second one adds additional features to the Auto-Titles:

1.) In the Edit Auto-Title window under the Outline format, add an option checkbox to make the Marker highlight colour applied to Auto-Titles visible as a coloured dot like the Finder Labels in Mavericks in the Outline pane. This is shown in the print-screen below with the coloured dots after the Chapter Auto-Titles in the Outline pane. The user can assign labels to these colours such as First Draft, Proofread, etc.
Right-Clicking on a Auto-Title in the Outline pane lets the user assign the colour labels. The user can then easily track the progress of a complex writing project.

2.) Like feature request 1.) above with the addition of an additional pane in the lower third of the Outline Pane. I have called this the Auto Title Information pane that can be toggled by the ATI button at the bottom. In this pane the user can assign the colour labels with the AT MARKER selection button and below there is a field in which users can enter some textual notes pertaining to the Auto-Title, for example a synopsis or open tasks. But other users might have other needs to note down here.

I've added these feature request to a Mellel print-screen. Admittedly, this is a crude mock-up of how it could be implemented and I have used the red text just to make it appear more obvious.

What are other users thinking about these requests?

[https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/710 ... equest.png]
tika-tika
Knows everything, can also explain

Re: Keeping track with additional Auto-Title Information:

Post by tika-tika »

This is a nice idea and makes Mellel a more powerful writing tool. Included in the information dialogue could be word count and word count target.

I like this, but think there are more pressing issues at the moment in Mellel, including: indexing, exporting TOC hyperlinked PDFs, docx export, organising cross references, naming citations in the the dialogue box, and image captions/ wrapped tables, all of which are requested in various feature requests. Once all that is done, it would be great to see what you have outlined implemented in Mellel.
macsailor
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Keeping track with additional Auto-Title Information:

Post by macsailor »

+1
Peter Edwardsson
Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.