Retaining character formatting

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

blakers76
New to all this

Retaining character formatting

Post by blakers76 »

I typically draft in Scrivener, and export to Mellel for formatting, etc. (using .rtf). When I draft in Scrivener, I like to use a monospace font, and underline text that will become italics in final formatting, because that way I can more easily ensure the proper characters will be italicized. The problem is that in Mellel when I apply my paragraph styles to the text the character formatting--ie, the underlining--is stripped. This means that I have to manually reapply underlining/iyalics rather than, say, do a global search/replace for underlines with italics. Needless to say, this is timeconsuming.

The thing I can't figure out is that if I manually apply the same formatting rather than do so through applying a predifined paragraph and accompanying character style, the underlining is not stripped. That is, if I take some text and manually apply the same font and face as would be applied if I used my Body Text paragraph style, for instance, the underling remains. Why is the behavior different? How do I apply paragraph styles to text and keep the character formatting so that I don't have to do it all by hand again?

Thanks