Android reader app

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

alxx
New to all this

Android reader app

Post by alxx »

Hello,

Has anyone considered an Android (or iOS) app that people could use to open Mellel files on the go, read-only?

It's a feature that pretty much everybody else has, and what with general inability to import native Mellel files into any standardised cloud/sharing solution, it's impossible to look at a document without the actual editor, on an actual computer.

It would be great if I could read Mellel docs on the go, without having to carry my laptop. Especially since I save them on Dropbox or Drive, precisely so I can access them from any computer. Adding phone/tablet read-only access would seem the obvious next step.

Thanks,

Alex
Declan
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Android reader app

Post by Declan »

I can well understand the desire to have an Android or IOS app to edit Mellel documents, but if it only a matter of reading them, what is wrong with printing them to pdf and reading them with whatever app you use for pdfs?

Declan
alxx
New to all this

Re: Android reader app

Post by alxx »

My usual scenario is saving the document directly into a cloud so I can work on it anywhere. But if I'm on the go, I'd like to at least be able to read it and maybe make some notes.

So your suggestion, while technically feasible, would mean that I'd have to export the PDF every single time I leave the computer, as I can never predict when I stop writing for the day, and for how long.

If I am specifically planning to read my document on the move (for instance, on a planned journey) then yes, I'll export it or even send it to my Kindle. But if I unexpectedly have to leave the computer for a few hours or more, it's frustrating to know that the document itself is readily accessible in the cloud but I have nothing to open it with.

Other than getting a dedicated computer running Mellel with a script to convert the native document into PDF every five minutes, the PDF solution is not good enough.