Typographic quotes and caps lock bug

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

psychomachine
Got the auto-title mojo working

Typographic quotes and caps lock bug

Post by psychomachine »

Hi.

I am using my own keyboard layout which switches from Cyrillic to Latin using caps lock. The straight double quote ( " ) is where you would normally find it on the physical German keyboard (shift-2).

Mellel is set up to use typographic quotes. However, Mellel replaces the straight quotes with typographic quotes only if CAPS LOCK is not activated. With CAPS LOCK on, straight double quotes are left as they are.

To me this seems wrong — not just because it's inconvenient for me — but also because a straight double quotation mark is a straight double quotation mark regardless of which keyboard layout you use to type it. And if typographic quotes are turned on, they should be applied in all cases.

I'd be super grateful if the Redlers could look into this.

All best,
tench
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Typographic quotes and caps lock bug

Post by rpcameron »

If you are using your own custom keyboard, how difficult would it be for you to add “ and ” to the keymap? I'm not trying to be difficult, but “smart” quotes are not really easily to implement, especially because of the edge cases. Do you have two free keys in your keymap (perhaps keys that are modified with caps and option)?
— Robert Cameron
psychomachine
Got the auto-title mojo working

Post by psychomachine »

sure, rpcameron, but your suggestion would make sense only if mellel hadn't already implemented typographic quotes. since typographic quotes already exist, they should also work regardless of LOCK CAPS.

in fact, my question is not specifically related to my own keyboard layout. typographic quotes don't work with lock caps even with the regular german keyboard layout that comes with mac os x.

in other words, this is a bug, plain and simple.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Post by rpcameron »

I understand this is a bug. However, I personally have never found a great implementation, and therefore never use the feature. (One of the first things I disable in every WP I use is so–called smart quotes.)
— Robert Cameron