TOC question: How to make mine "self-adjusting"?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

ceveji
New to all this

TOC question: How to make mine "self-adjusting"?

Post by ceveji »

Hello Mellel users!

I am quite new to this word processor and hope you will be able to help me out. A couple (perhaps quite naive) questions:

1. Now that I know how to auto-title, I am also able to insert a TOC. The issue now is that I would like to have a TOC that self-adjusts (I often change titles, headings, etc. --- I also write, which means the heading is no longer on the same page anymore!). Is this possible, or must one only insert the TOC once your document is done?

2. When I use character styles (e.g., title, heading), why is there also a "paragraph style" associated with each character style? When I want to insert a chapter heading, for example, should I go into "heading" in "character styles" or in "paragraph styles"?

Thank you so much!
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: TOC question: How to make mine "self-adjusting"?

Post by rpcameron »

As for 1, this is not possible. The TOC is not 'live', and therefore must be updated manually.

For 2, paragraph styles have an associated character style that you set as the 'default' for that paragraph. Auto-Titles are then best styled with a paragraph style, which then applies that paragraph style's associated character style to the Auto-Title.

In practice, then only time you should need to manually apply a character style is when you have a small stream of text that is different from the paragraph's main content type. However, even this is rarely needed, as smaller streams of text that require emphasis, such as italics, boldfacing or small caps are best achieved with style variations.
— Robert Cameron