Zotero extension

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

stephanhippo
New to all this

Zotero extension

Post by stephanhippo »

Hi,

I've been using Mellel for a little while, and clearly it's way better than MSWord.
But I now have to embark on a serious spree of academic writing and for that I can't even begin to think doing it without Zotero (zotero.org). I can't find a tool (extension, plugin or other) that would allow me to use Mellel and Zotero together as one can do it with MSWord and OpenOffice?
There was some discussion on both zotero and mellel forums about that, but it's dating 5-6 years ago. Since then nothing seem to be done.
It's certainly something I would like to see develop in the future and that would help more people move over to Mellel.
rpcameron
Knows everything, can prove it

Re: Zotero extension

Post by rpcameron »

Although there's no direct integration, there are other options. Mellel's bibliography functions only integrate with Bookends and Sente, and given how long users have asked for support for additional software options and heard nothing, I don't see any additional software being supported anytime soon. That leaves you with two options if you want to use Mellel: 1, manually manage your references in your document using some method of your own (such as Mellel's limited built-in management or similar); or 2, switch your reference manager to either Bookends or Sente—I know Bookends can import your Zotero database, but I am uncertain about Sente.

If you wish to use Mellel, those are basically your options. However, if your choice of WP is open, there are a world of options. There are a number of TeX based options, including easy easy editing or markup using text files, or even Scrivner. As far as other reference managers, there are also plenty of those. However, what you choose will also be determined by your field, as certain fields have particular formats and requirements that aren't necessarily easy to achieve in Mellel, but there might be easy options with predefined TeX or Troff styles/macros available to format your document.
— Robert Cameron