Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: redlers, Eyal Redler, Ori Redler

Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby miles11 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:31 am

Autotitles allow us to quickly navigate Mellel documents, but setting up a lot of autotitles quickly becomes tedious. Is there a way to automate the process?

Mellel is not scriptable, but could an applescript be set up using System Events to quickly get to the correct menu, then to the sub-menu item? We could use Control-F2 to get to the menu bar but that still leaves us wasting a lot of time, punching arrow keys to get to the Insert menu then, finally, down to the autotitle sub-menu.

Since autotitles are a heavily used and important part of Mellel, why haven’t keyboard shortcuts been included in order to make the addition of autotitles as fast and painless as possible?
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby frvs » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:30 am

Hi,

Have you tried using the Auto-title palette? From the palette, it's simply a matter of double clicking auto-titles on a list in order to insert them.

Francisco
frvs
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: Brussels, sometimes Lisbon

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby miles11 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:04 am

Hello Francisco,

Yes, I use both the menu bar and the Autotitle Palette. But I use many autotitles in nearly every Mellel document I create, and having to mouse around for every one of them is SO slow and monotonous. It would be a time saver to be able to quickly create needed autotitles without having to take a hand off the keyboard for every one of them.

I’ve written AppleScripts to speed up many repetitive tasks in my other programs, so it may be that the slowness of creating autotitles is a bit more noticeable to me than it is to some other users. I’ve used Mellel since 2003, so I get around in it pretty well, but this is a frequent irritation.
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby frvs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:28 am

miles11 wrote:Hello Francisco,
I’ve written AppleScripts to speed up many repetitive tasks in my other programs, so it may be that the slowness of creating autotitles is a bit more noticeable to me than it is to some other users. I’ve used Mellel since 2003, so I get around in it pretty well, but this is a frequent irritation.


I see. Being what you might call a sloth writer myself, the palette works fine for me. But, as you said, a simple expedient like auto-title shortcuts would make the difference for speed users. Let's hope the time it takes for the developers to eventually introduce this simple enhancement matches your writing pace rather than mine :P

Francisco
frvs
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: Brussels, sometimes Lisbon

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby miles11 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 pm

miles11 wrote:But, as you said, a simple expedient like auto-title shortcuts would make the difference for speed users. Let's hope the time it takes for the developers to eventually introduce this simple enhancement matches your writing pace rather than mine


Never said I'm a fast writer.

I also use Mellel for a lot of things that may, or may not, be directly related to the writing I do: gathering loads of information about a wide range of topics, for instance. I also use it for notes, ToDos, etc. I've always used Mellel far more than any of the other word processors I have on my computer, and any time I have something new to learn about, new Mellel files are sure to be created for study or reference.
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby farcas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Agreed. Some way to automate the creation of autotitles would be nice - maybe through a find and replace...?


In the mean time, I have renamed my autotitles Level 1, Level 2, etc. Then under my Mac's keyboard shortcuts, created my own shortcuts CMD + SHFT + OPT + 1, CMD + SHFT + OPT + 2, etc. Works wonders.

But... I'd still like to see a find and replace creation of autotitles. Please make this happen!


Thanks!
farcas
Read the guide!
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby miles11 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:06 pm

farcas wrote:In the mean time, I have renamed my autotitles Level 1, Level 2, etc. Then under my Mac's keyboard shortcuts, created my own shortcuts CMD + SHFT + OPT + 1, CMD + SHFT + OPT + 2, etc. Works wonders.


I finally spent some time using System Prefs to set up some shortcuts, too. Had to rework a few things but finally came up with a set I can use. This is much better than what I was doing before. Thanks for the reminder.
miles11
Knows everything, can prove it
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Any way to automate autotitle creation?

Postby farcas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:57 pm

miles11 wrote:
farcas wrote:In the mean time, I have renamed my autotitles Level 1, Level 2, etc. Then under my Mac's keyboard shortcuts, created my own shortcuts CMD + SHFT + OPT + 1, CMD + SHFT + OPT + 2, etc. Works wonders.


I finally spent some time using System Prefs to set up some shortcuts, too. Had to rework a few things but finally came up with a set I can use. This is much better than what I was doing before. Thanks for the reminder.



Most welcome. I'm addicted to shortcuts. In addition I use BetterTouchTool to create complex arrangements of short cuts. Really nice.

My interest in automating auto title creation is seeing something in the find and replace. But we'll have to wait...


Thanks!
farcas
Read the guide!
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:34 pm


Return to The Nitty and the Gritty

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests