OpenType stylistic alternate sets

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

lyndondrake
Got the styles thing figured out

OpenType stylistic alternate sets

Post by lyndondrake »

Hi,

Some fonts have multiple stylistic alternate sets. An example is Hypatia Sans Pro, which has many of them. For these fonts, the simple checkmark menu item Mellel provides is insufficient — it needs to list the available sets and allow the user to choose which of the sets to apply.

Cheers,
Lyndon
magister

Re: OpenType stylistic alternate sets

Post by magister »

+1 on this. I am working with a group of scholars who want to use the Old Italic block of Unicode. There are a great many glyph variants found in the languages that use this script, and stylistic sets seem to be the best way to handle the issue. The fonts I'm developing will not work in Mellel.

Mellel's OpenType support is generally very good (thank you!). It puzzles me that one significant feature like this has been omitted for so long. Any comments from the Mellel team?
lyndondrake

Re: OpenType stylistic alternate sets

Post by lyndondrake »

Hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread. Any possibility this might get added to Mellel? As Apple have added full OpenType support to the standard text view, Mellel now feels a bit deprived on this front (of course, it's a million times better in lots of other ways!)