minor request for OS dictionary pop-up

Feature requests, and in-depth discussions of features and the way Mellel works

Moderators: Eyal Redler, redlers, Ori Redler

DanZac
Knows everything, can prove it

minor request for OS dictionary pop-up

Post by DanZac »

Mac has a nice function through most apps of placing your cursor in a word and hitting control-command-D for a dictionary pop-up. This doesn't work in Mellel. Could it please?
rpcameron

Re: minor request for OS dictionary pop-up

Post by rpcameron »

No, this does not work in Mellel, and probably never will. Mellel does not use OS X's text engine or controls, so thsoe features have to be implemented separately and from-scratch to be included in Mellel. As far as the disctionary popup, I hope the Redlers spend their time working on features that users have been asking for/waiting on for YEARS rather than something minor as the dictionary popup.
— Robert Cameron
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Ah, I see. Yes this probably isn't worth the time if it isn't something that can easily be tapped in to.
rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

BTW: There was a request for the feature in the forums dated 29 Jan 2009 that includes a workaround that approximates the floating dictionary window by calling the Dictionary app and opening it with the curretnly highlighted word in Mellel—perhaps that would suffice for your needs.

(I remembered there was a previous discussion, I just didn't realize how long ago it was made: that thread is dated over 7 years ago!)
— Robert Cameron